June 01, 2012 – Montvale , USA (Techreleased) –Mercedes-Benz USA previews the brand’s newest 2013 models at the 17th Annual Greenwich Concours d’Elegance from June 2-3, 2012 including the redesigned SL, GLK and GL. The event features rare vehicles from past and present and benefits Americares, the private, non-profit relief and humanitarian aid organization.
With the background of the breathtaking Greenwich seaside, Mercedes-Benz celebrates 60 years of the iconic SL-Class by featuring the all-new 2013 SL, which evokes the design and performance attributes from the past 60 years including an innovative aluminum bodyshell that weighs nearly 300 pounds less than its predecessor, hitting home its SL “Super Light” designation that was set forth in 1952 with the W194 300SL racecar. Unveiled in 1954 at the “International Motor Sports Show” in New York was the 300 SL “Gullwing” Coupe, a road version of the 300 SL competition car. Production started late in 1954 and over the course of three years only 1400 examples were built. The 300 SL continues to be sought after by collectors for its iconic design and technical innovation.
Packed with innovative technology, the 2013 SL550 is powered by an efficient and refined new V8 engine that delivers up to 14 percent better fuel economy while producing more power. A luxurious interior and pioneering high-tech features provide an eye towards the future. These include a unique FrontBass system, which turns the SL into a concert hall, and the debut of mbrace2, the next generation of telematics innovation that gives drivers top-of-the-line features related to safety, infotainment, personal assistance, and vehicle care.
In addition to the Mercedes-Benz SL-Class, two models from the Mercedes-Benz family of SUVs, the GLK-Class and GL-Class, will be on display:
- GLK-Class – With a fresh new design, exclusive equipment, pioneering safety assistance systems and efficient engines, the restyled 2013 GLK-Class reaffirms its leadership in the entry-level SUV segment. The newly designed exterior provides more dynamic character, combining classic SUV styling with the design language of the current Mercedes-Benz sedans. The 2013 GLK350 will be in U.S. showrooms this summer, followed by the GLK250 BlueTEC in early 2013.
- GL-Class – The all-new 2013 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class is the leading luxury full-size SUV. Cradling its occupants with the first-class comfort of a luxurious sedan, the all-new GL is perfect for large families with ample space for up to seven passengers, while a host of efficiency measures delivers a substantial improvement in fuel economy. The 2013 GL-Class goes on sale in the U.S. in September 2012.
The Legacy Continues, 60 Years of SL History In 1952 the DNA of the SL Roadster was formed in the W194 race car and a storied legacy was underway:
- 1954: the W198-series 300SL “Gullwing” Coupe, the production version of the legendary W194 race car and the world’s first car with fuel injection.
- 1957: the W198-series 300SL Roadster, the convertible sports car brethren of 300 SL “Gullwing” Coupe.
- 1963: the W113 series 230SL arrived on the scene. It was dubbed the “Pagoda” because of the characteristic shape of its hardtop roof.
- 1971: the R107-series SL that achieved the highest production volume of all SL series to date with a long production life of 18 years.
- 1989: the R129-series SL featuring numerous passive and active safety innovations that carried the SL-Class into the new millennium.
- 2001: the R230-series SL – the first SL roadster with an electro-hydraulic, steel folding convertible top.
- 2012: the R231-series SL – the next generation of the Mercedes-Benz SL-Class on display at The Greenwich Concours d’Elegance and on sale at Mercedes-Benz dealers.
Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/06/01/4531056/mercedes-benz-new-sl-debuts-among.html#storylink=cpy