Dec 11, 2012– Tokyo, Japan (Techreleased) – Toshiba Corporation (TOKYO: 6502) today announced that the company is collaborating with Hanrim Postec LLC (Hanrim) in the development of wireless power system ICs. The companies are working on ICs and systems based on the Qi standard*1 low power spec for mobile devices, including smartphones and mobile phones, as proposed by the Wireless Power Consortium*2 (WPC).
Toshiba and Hanrim will enter the mobile market this month with a non-contact charge system. Toshiba has developed and manufactures the ICs for the system and Hanrim provides the module.
Demand for smartphones is growing rapidly, and so is their usage, as more and more people rely on them as a platform for messaging and accessing the internet. As a result, it is often necessary to charge smartphones twice a day, sometimes even more, requiring users to carry a charging cable. This is stimulating demand for a new, cable-free, non-contact charging system that offers greater convenience and ease of use.
Toshiba has developed two products to the Qi standard, utilizing Hanrim’s non-contact charging systems. Samples shipments will start from December.
- *1: Qi standard
An inductive transfer standard for low power applications, standardized from 0 to 5W.
- *2: WPC
As of this month, WPC had a total of 137 member companies, clear recognition that it has established the global de facto standard for non-contact inductive systems, with companies working on both Qi standard compatible power transmission and power receiver systems.
Toshiba joined WPC in February and has closely studied the standard toward developing ICs for non-contact charging systems. Hanrim is also a member.
- 1. Compliant with WPC Qi standard ver1.0
- 2. Integrated DC-DC converter is used for charge and power feed.
- For the TB6860WBG power receiver, the DC-DC converter is used to output voltage. A current capacity output of 1,200mA (max.) ensures rapid charging.
- 3. Battery charge function included.
- The TB6860WBG has a power feed mode which feeds power to the charge system of platform it is charging. It also has a charging mode for charging the battery directly. If a non-contact charge system is included in the battery of a mobile device, applying the TB6860WBG reduces the use of special ICs for charging. It can reduce product size and cost. The included register can create a unique charging profile for batteries from multiple companies.
- 4. Charge two devices simultaneously.
- The TB6865FG can charge two devices simultaneously. While a smart phone with the “Qi” mark is charged, another mobile device (digital still camera, mobile game consoles, and so on) with the “Qi” mark can be charged by placing it on the transmission pad. On charge pad can support two “Qi” mobile devices. No special cable is required.