Synology Releases DiskStation Manager 5.1 – Nov 07, 2014– Taipei, Taiwan (Techreleased) – Synology releases DiskStation Manager (DSM) 5.1, the latest version of its NAS operating system. After 6 weeks of intense beta testing, the beta was a resounding success, thanks to the valuable feedback from individual users.
“We want to thank our users from all around the world for their participation and enthusiasm toward DSM and Synology products, paving the way for a more integrated and secured private cloud solution.” said Alex Wang, CEO of Synology Inc.
DSM 5.1 offers dozens of new, exciting features and improvements, some of which are listed below.
- Comprehensive security measures: Security Advisor analyses system settings, password strength, network preferences and removes known malware. In addition, AppArmor blocks malicious programs from accessing unauthorized system resources, while packages can now be digitally signed to avoid any use of tampered executable.
- Increased productivity: Proxy Server speeds up Internet browsing while securing the network thanks to its various caching, filtering, and authentication options. File Station can now connect to a remote FTP or WebDAV server. The new CardDav servers allows contact synchronization among compatible devices.
- More integrated cloud: Data can be synced with more public cloud including OneDrive, Box and hubiC. Cloud Sync and all Cloud Station’s client software allow users to select which folders, file types and size to be synced. In addition, data can be backed up to more public cloud such as Microsoft Azure, SFR or hicloud. The new Explore feature in Glacier Backup allows users to browse and retrieve single files from Amazon Glacier.
- Advanced enterprise features: The introduction of NFS Full File Clone and NFS Reserve Space dramatically boosts virtual machine storage performance and efficiency. SSD reading cache can now be built with only one disk, increasing its cost efficiency. The revamped user interface and the new Hit Rate feature streamline SSD cache management and monitoring.
- Note Station and DS note: Write, centralize, sync, and share all digital notes and notebooks with a web browser or mobile device. Users can benefit from advanced features such as multimedia note, editing history, and password protection. It is also now possible to import notes from Evernote.
- Easier multimedia browsing and sharing: Video Station, Photo Station and Audio Station and their mobile apps are benefit from new features such as smart search, advanced filtering or more convenient sharing. Mobile apps have been reworked to provide a fresh interface and a better experience.
Synology DSM 5.1 is free to download for users who own a DiskStation or RackStation x11 series and onward. Supported models include:
- 15-series: DS415play, DS115j, DS415+, DS1815+
- 14-series: DS214, RS214, DS414, DS114, DS214play, DS214+, DS214se, RS3614xs+, RS2414+, RS2414RP+, RS814, DS214se,
- RS814+, RS814RP+, DS414j, RS3614xs, RS3614RPxs, DS414slim, EDS14
- 13-series: RS10613xs+, RS3413xs+, DS2413+, DS1813+, DS1513+, DS713+, DS413, DS413j, DS213+, DS213, DS213air, DS213j
- 12-series: RS3412xs, RS3412RPxs, RS812+, RS812RP+, RS2212+, RS2212RP+, RS812, RS212, DS3612xs, DS1812+, DS1512+, DS712+, DS412+, DS212+, DS212, DS212j, DS112+, DS112, DS112j
- 11-series: RS3411xs, RS3411RPxs, RS2211+, RS2211RP+, RS411, DS3611xs, DS2411+, DS1511+, DS411+II, DS411+, DS411, DS411j, DS411slim, DS211+, DS211, DS211j, DS111