Oct 15, 2012– Horsham,Japan (Techreleased) – At the SCTE Cable-Tec Expo, Motorola Mobility will introduce the Motorola GT-3 ABR Transcoder—the industry’s only 3-gigapixel ABR transcoder. The Motorola GT-3 uses the latest silicon technology and Motorola’s custom video compression algorithms to enable rich, multi-screen HD and SD everywhere experiences from a slim, energy-efficient unit.
The GT-3 by the Numbers:
· THREE – three billion pixels of video content per second, blowing away traditional server-based ABR transcoders
· FIFTY – processing up to 3 billion pixels of video content every second is equivalent to nearly 50 full resolution HD programs – setting a new industry standard
· TEN – more than 10x the density of legacy server-based ABR solutions and dramatic improvements over ABR hardware solutions, which means the same transcoding capability now fits into a much leaner and more efficient unit, requiring fewer transcoders to meet the demands of today’s multi-screen HD and future higher-resolution content applications
· TWENTY-FOUR and SIXTEEN – support for up to 24 inputs and up to 16 output streams per input program, for flexible support of more video display devices
· BOTTOM LINE – higher processing performance and greater density equals energy efficiency and cost savings for service providers
Why This Matters
Consumers expect to get their favorite content—including live HD broadcasts, DVR media and on-demand programming—even when they’re not in front of their Living Room TV. The Motorola GT-3 lets service providers address this growing demand quickly and in an energy-efficient way, which ultimately means dramatically lower operational costs and a significantly reduced carbon footprint.
The GT-3 offers two distinct performance advantages for operators:
· First, it enables a broader selection of video data rates and resolutions to match the dynamic bandwidth of unmanaged networks.
· And second, its efficiency in video compression can provide higher-quality video using the same amount of bandwidth, or the same video quality at much lower bitrates—a windfall for bandwidth-constrained networks.
For subscribers, these advantages translate to better viewing experiences on TVs, PCs, tablets, and smartphones.
“The GT-3 is a leap-frog technology that addresses the future of TV: HD, DVR and on-demand media on multiple devices, wherever consumers want it,” said Joe Cozzolino, Motorola Mobility SVP and GM, Network Infrastructure. “It can deliver all the content to all the devices that today’s consumers expect, with the transcoding performance to scale to tomorrow’s connected ecosystem. The GT-3 is the latest in our portfolio of solutions for the smart, simple connected home and just one more way we’re driving the evolution of TV.”
Additional benefits of GT-3 include:
· Latest compression silicon chips for highest video quality and density
· Motorola video compression algorithms produce the highest video quality, for improved QoE at low bandwidths
· Dual power supply and I/O and system-level redundancy for 24×7 availability
· Full integration with Motorola Mobility’s end-to-end multi-screen platform
· Ad insertion support
Motorola has a long history of firsts in digital video—including digital TV and HD video services. With GT-3, Motorola is advancing the standard for video compression and leading the way for high-resolution multi-screen experiences.
GT-3 @ SCTE
Motorola approaches multi-screen TV from end-to-end: in the cloud, the network and the home.
The GT-3 is the new network component responsible for video processing. It combines with Motorola’s leading technologies—including nDVR, On-Demand, Medios (DRM, cross-platform user interfaces) and multi-screen devices like smartphones, tablets, laptops and TVs—to produce seamless multi-screen experiences.
@ the SCTE Cable-Tec Expo, Motorola’s GT-3 ABR Transcoder will power Motorola’s end-to-end live multi-screen demonstration. The fully integrated demonstration will also feature Motorola’s Medios DreamGallery, Medios SecureMedia, EDGE device management, Motorola’snDVR technology (M3 Media Server, Streamer, and Recorder), plus Motorola’s portfolio of IP set-tops, video gateways, tablets and smartphones.
For more on Motorola @ SCTE Cable-Tec Expo, please visit our virtual press center or stop by the Motorola Booth #2812 to see a demonstration of the GT-3 technology.