Nov 20, 2012– Hiroshima, Japan (Techreleased) – Mazda Motor Corporation has released the all-new Mazda Atenza (known overseas as Mazda6). It goes on sale today at all Mazda and Mazda Anfini dealerships throughout Japan. The manufacturer’s suggested retail price ranges from 2,500,000 yen to 3,400,000 yen including tax. Mazda expects to sell 1,000 units per month.
The all-new Atenza is Mazda’s flagship model and adopts the company’s new-generation SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY*1 and new design theme, KODO – Soul of Motion. All model grades are equipped with the full range of SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY in order to provide powerful and refined driving with a comfortable and high quality ride. The engine line-up includes the SKYACTIV-D 2.2, a highly-efficient and powerful new-generation clean diesel engine. All models come with i-stop, Mazda’s idling stop system, and i-ELOOP, a new brake energy regeneration system. Both the sedan and the wagon featuring the clean diesel engine achieve the best fuel economy ratings in their class*2 (excluding hybrid vehicles).
The all-new Atenza also incorporates i-ACTIVSENSE*3, a series of advanced safety technologies designed to support safe driving. Using cameras and millimeter-wave radars to detect obstacles, i-ACTIVSENSE includes systems which automatically apply the brakes in an emergency, sound an alarm if the vehicle drifts out of its lane, and prevent the car from taking off if the driver mistakenly steps on the accelerator instead of the brake. The all-new Atenza offers an ideal driving environment. The driver’s field of vision has been widened by moving the A-pillar rearward and positioning the tire house farther forward has allowed a natural pedal layout with no offset.
Main features of the all-new Atenza
1. Creative technology to provide driving pleasure and outstanding environmental and safety features
Outstanding fuel economy
- The all-new Atenza not only offers powerful and responsive driving, but also vastly improved fuel economy thanks to the highly efficient SKYACTIV engine and transmission. Fuel economy is further improved with i-stop, Mazda’s idling stop system, and i-ELOOP, a new brake energy regeneration system. Both systems come standard with the new Atenza. i-ELOOP is the world’s first brake energy regeneration system in a passenger vehicle to use a capacitor to store electricity.
- The new Atenza equipped with clean diesel engine achieves 22.4 km/L (with 6-speed manual transmission) and 20.0 km/L (with 6-speed automatic transmission) as measured by Japan’s JC08 mode test cycle. Gasoline engine models offer a 30 percent (2.0-liter engine) and 37 percent (2.5-liter engine) improvement in fuel economy compared to the previous generation Atenza.
- Models equipped with the SKYACTIV-D 2.2 diesel engine and SKYACTIV-G 2.0 gasoline engine are exempt from automobile acquisition and weight taxes under Japan’s tax reduction program to promote environmentally-friendly cars. SKYACTIV-G 2.5 gasoline engine models qualify for a 50 percent reduction of the same taxes.
World-class safety performance
- The all-new Atenza features i-ACTIVSENSE, a series of advanced safety technologies based on Mazda’s safety philosophy – Mazda Proactive Safety. In addition to pre-crash safety technologies designed to avoid or reduce the damage of collisions, for instance by automatically applying the brakes in an emergency, i-ACTIVSENSE incorporates active safety technologies that aim to support safe driving from the outset by aiding the driver in recognizing and judging hazards.
2. Jinba-Ittai driving experience appeals to all five senses and increases the driving pleasure each time you get behind the wheel
The all-new Atenza boasts a high-quality drive, responding precisely to the driver’s steering, acceleration and braking input. Not only at home on urban roads, it offers excellent stability at high speed and agile handling on winding mountain roads.
- The SKYACTIV-D 2.2 clean diesel engine model delivers maximum torque of 420 N-m, comparable to that of a 4.0-liter V8 gasoline engine, and it remains quiet even at high speed.
- In addition to the acclaimed and highly efficient direct injection SKYACTIV-G 2.0 gasoline engine, the engine lineup includes the newly developed SKYACTIV-G 2.5 gasoline engine. This engine delivers ample torque at low rpms and a superbly quiet cabin. Models fitted with the optional Bose® sound system (AUDIOPILOT™2) with 11 speakers also feature the Active Engine Sound system to produce a delightful engine note under acceleration.
- The six-speed SKYACTIV-DRIVE automatic transmission locks-up over most of the range, except during take-off, enabling smooth and quick shifting. The 6-speed SKYACTIV-MT manual transmission is available with diesel engine models so drivers can enjoy a crisp shift feel.
- By precisely controlling the under-floor airflow, the all-new Atenza also achieves excellent aerodynamics. Combining body rigidity, aerodynamics, finely tuned acceleration, braking, steering and suspension, Mazda has added a new-dimension to the Jinba Ittai driving experience, unifying car and driver.
3. KODO design: Wild proportions refined with a Japanese aesthetic
- The exterior adopts the KODO – Soul of Motion – design theme shared by all new-generation Mazda products, the new Atenza combines a dignified presence with a vital and dynamic beauty.
- Mazda developed a new body color, Soul Red Premium Metallic, specifically to complement KODO design. It is painted with a dedicated TAKUMINURI program which achieves a sophisticated and high quality finish, as if hand-painted by skilled craftsman.
- Inside, great care was taken in shaping the controls and choosing materials for their tactile qualities, to infuse functionality and comfort into the refined and sporty atmosphere of the cabin.
- Upper model grades, XD L package and 25S L package, feature a choice between off white or black genuine leather seat upholstery.
4. Thoroughly thought-out functionality
The cockpit is the outcome of the pursuit of the ergonomically ideal driving environment. Every aspect of the driving environment was thoroughly reviewed resulting in a pedal layout with no offset, perfectly positioned controls, a wide field of vision and comfortable seats that minimize driver fatigue.
5. The reliability and finish of a hand-crafted product
The shapes and materials for the interior parts that occupants see and touch, such as the steering wheel, were carefully selected for their quality feel and textures so that owners will cherish the vehicle for years to come.
- *1: SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY is the umbrella term for Mazda’s range of next-generation technologies-including gasoline and diesel engines, transmissions, and a new body and chassis – developed under Mazda’s Sustainable Zoom-Zoom vision to provide driving pleasure balanced with outstanding environmental and safety performance.
- *2: Japan’s standard passenger vehicle class. As of November 1, 2012 (Mazda data).
- *3: i-ACTIVSENSE is an umbrella term for Mazda’s advanced safety technologies that use detecting devices such as millimeter-wave radars and cameras.
Manufacturer’s suggested retail prices