Nov 06, 2012– Tokyo, Japan (Techreleased) – HP today announced a new mobile thin client that combines PC-like performance with the security needed to protect data in enterprise, financial, healthcare and government settings.
The HP mt40 Mobile Thin Client is aimed at telecommuters and on-campus mobile workers who need to connect securely to a network to access files. With the HP mt40, an employee or contractor simply turns on the device and logs in to the secure network at the business, roaming the campus or at home. The worker can then begin working on even the most sensitive files, saving his or her work to the server — nothing resides on the device itself.
HP also announced that HP Device Manager 4.5, the latest version of HP’s powerful thin client management tool, will come preinstalled on the HP mt40 and future thin clients to help users easily configure and deploy HP thin clients.
A key new feature of HP Device Manager 4.5 is that it enables wireless imaging, allowing updates over the same wireless connection that the remote desktop infrastructure uses — so all HP mt40 devices can be can be accessed and imaged remotely.
“With the growth in telecommuting, as well as the rise in the number of workers who regularly travel between locations, a mobile thin client makes a lot of sense both from a mobility productivity and a security standpoint,” said Anneliese Olson, vice president, PC Solutions, Attach and Services, Asia Pacific and Japan, Thin Clients, HP. “HP now enables global organizations to equip workers with high-performing mobile thin clients that connect them to the cloud, from any location, all while greatly minimizing the risk of data loss.”
HP mt40 Mobile Thin Client combines performance, mobility and durability
The HP mt40 Mobile Thin Client is suited for enterprises that have deployed virtualization solutions from the major independent software vendors (ISVs) — Citrix, Microsoft, and VMware — for their desktop virtualization deployments. It’s also ideal for organizations that are considering moving to virtual desktops for their more mobile employees.
Key features of the HP mt40 Mobile Thin Client include:
● A 14-inch diagonal high-definition (HD) antiglare display and a starting weight of 4.78 lb (2.17kg), so it’s ready for business on the go.
● A second-generation Intel Celeron B840 dual core processor, enabling PC-like performance when viewing or working with digital graphics.
● A longer expected life span than a notebook PC because it has no hard drive or moving parts.
● HP Velocity software, which improves the quality of the connection ensuring top network performance when using bandwidth-hungry applications.
● The choice of lightweight or extended battery to customize the HP mt40 to the way employees work.
● A bottom-case drain helps protect the device against accidental minor spills on the keyboard.
HP Device Manager 4.5 for intuitive, easy deployment
HP Device Manager 4.5 can be used by IT to remotely view, configure and manage HP thin clients. HP Device Manager 4.5 is easy to install, and is designed in a modular way to allow it to work in almost any network configuration. It provides functions via a standard Windows-like interface that is simple and intuitive.
Key features of HP Device Manager 4.5 include:
● A new graphical user interface (GUI) console displays all devices in sortable columns and provides faster device load times within the console.
● An Image Preload feature that allows wireless imaging.
● Ability to store new images locally on thin clients for future updates.
● Support for HP Service Packs.
HP Device Manager 4.5 also manages the full life cycle of HP thin clients to help businesses have better awareness of what devices are being used in their environment.
Pricing and availability
The HP mt40 Mobile Thin Client will be available worldwide in mid-December. Pricing is available upon request.
The HP mt40 Mobile Thin Client comes with a standard, three-year limited hardware warranty in most regions. HP also offers global service and support through a network of more than 50,000 IT professionals in more than 100 countries. Customers can choose from HP Care Pack Services to extend service contracts beyond the standard warranties.