Honda Begins Sales of All-New JADE in Japan – Feb 12, 2015– Tokyo, Japan (Techreleased) – Honda Motor Co., Ltd. today announced it would begin sales of the all-new JADE at dealerships across Japan on February 13, 2015. The all-new JADE is a 6-seat passenger vehicle that features powerful and high-quality driving performance, while realizing minivan-class occupant comfort and utility inside its beautifully formed body with a total vehicle height as low as a sedan.
The all-new JADE features an ultrahigh-density low-floor platform for which the underbody and underfloor components are thoroughly downsized and efficiently organized. Three-row seating is realized in a low-height, stylishly-designed body that is compatible with most multi-level parking garages. The first row occupants will enjoy an exhilarating ride with a commanding view, while second row occupants also enjoy a comfortable front view thanks to the newly-adopted seat-sliding mechanism. The third row space accommodates a variety of uses.
Moreover, the all-new JADE is equipped with Honda SENSING, Honda’s advanced driver-assistive system that expanded its scope of detection to include pedestrians*1. As for the powertrain, the all-new JADE is equipped with the Honda Sport Hybrid i-DCD*2, a hybrid system based on the 1.5L direct injection DOHC i-VTEC engine, realizing high-quality and comfortable driving for all speed ranges from low to high as well as excellent fuel economy of 25.0km/L (JC08 mode)*3 that is at the top level of its class*4.
< Passion behind the name of JADE >
The name JADE represents the passion of the development team which strived to create a vehicle that possesses jewel-like beauty and enduring value and yet fulfills the needs of the new era.
- *1 The system may not work or deliver full performance depending on road and weather conditions.
- *2 i-DCD stands for “intelligent Dual Clutch Drive.”
- *3 HYBRID type was tested by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism in Japan.
- *4 Passenger minivan class (Honda internal research as of February 2015)
Key features of the all-new JADE
Cabin space and packaging pursue occupant comfort and user-friendliness to enable flexible use
- For the first row seats, a sedan-like driving position was realized in an effort to create an exhilarating driving experience. Information obtained from the road surface will be conveyed to the driver to help realize a comfortable driving feel.
- The second row seats named “V-slide captain’s seats” feature a new system that avoids the rear wheelhouse and enables a long and diagonally backward slide to create large legroom. As the seats slides backward, it comes inward; therefore, the second row passengers can enjoy a comfortable frontal view.
- For the third row seats, a “50:50 split housing structure” was adopted to enable the users to fold the right and left seats independently depending on their intended use of the vehicle as well as the size and shape of the cargo. With simple operation by pulling a strap, a flat and user friendly luggage space will be created.
- Spacious cargo room and elbowroom for third row occupants is secured by positioning the IPU (intelligent power unit) of the hybrid system inside the center console for the first time for a Honda hybrid model.
Ultra high-density low-floor platform with more compact and thinner components
- In order to secure a spacious cabin while keeping the vehicle height low, a high density and low-floor platform was created. To this end, the fuel tank and exhaust system were made more compact and thinner, and a double wishbone suspension was adopted to make the low-floor possible. Moreover, a flat floor space for the third row passengers was realized by curving the upper arm of the rear suspensions.
Sedan-like low-height exterior design enhances the joy of ownership
- The “Solid Wing Face,” Honda’s design identity that connects the grille and headlights with a horizontal motif, was adopted for the front mask.
- With the low vehicle height of 1,530mm, JADE is compatible with most multilevel parking garages. In the effort to make it easy to use in an urban environment, the vehicle length was set at 4,650mm to realize both a spacious cabin and easy handling.
- While the rear combination lamps express unity with the rear window through a flowing design, the tail lamps and brake lamps feature LED lights offering sense of high-quality.
Interior design pursues a sophistication and innovative spirit
- A dynamic and symmetrical flat panel extends across from behind the steering wheel to the passenger side, and the use of a silver-rimmed wood-grain decorative panel calls up the image of a piece of high-end furniture.
- Close attention was paid to the visual and tactile sense of the materials. The Prime Smooth*5, a stain-resistant and easy-care material that is soft and comfortable to the touch, is used for the outer portion of the seat, and breathable and wear-resistant material that is typically used for sportswear is used for the seating surface and backrest, making these seats both functional and aesthetically pleasing.
- *5 Available for certain types.
Honda Sport Hybrid i-DCD realizes both top-in-class level*6 fuel economy and dynamic driving performance
- The all-new JADE is equipped with the Honda Sport Hybrid i-DCD, which combines a 1.5L direct injection DOHC i-VTEC engine with a 7-speed DCT incorporating a built-in high output motor and IPU with a built-in lithium-ion battery, to realize excellent fuel economy of 25.0km/L (JC08 mode) that is at top level in its class*6.
- *6 Passenger minivan class (Honda internal research as of February 2015)
Honda SENSING – Honda’s advanced driver-assistive system
- Honda SENSING is a system consisting of two types of sensors with different characteristics. One is a millimeter-wave radar located behind the front emblem, and the other is a monocular camera mounted on the upper, inside part of the windshield. With further improvement in performance, the new millimeter-wave radar expanded its scope of detection to include pedestrians*7 regarded as being hard to detect due to their low rate of radio wave reflection, as well as the position and speed of target object. Moreover, the monocular camera identifies various attributes and the size of pedestrians and other target objects which come in range within approximately 60m ahead of the vehicle, achieving recognition with improved accuracy.
- *7 There are limitations to the capabilities of each function (detecting capability or controlling capability). The system may not work or deliver full performance depending on road and weather conditions.
Advanced features and safety performance enhances sense of security
- The all-new JADE features the LaneWatch™ system*8, which displays a live image on the navigation system screen from a camera mounted on the outside bottom of the passenger mirror. By displaying the view of behind the vehicle on the passenger side, a hard spot for the driver to see, the system assists safe driving during lane changes, or while merging and making left turns.
- The all-new JADE features the Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body that applies Honda’s original G-Force Control Technology (G-CON) to enhance self-protection and make it less aggressive to other vehicles in the event of a collision. The JADE also features the Pedestrian Injury Mitigation Body structure to absorb the impact of a collision in the front part of the body, which is at the highest risk of causing a pedestrian injury in the event of a collision.
- In the area of active safety, with the goal to prevent an accident before it happens, the all-new JADE features the Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) system, a Hill-Start Assist function as well as the Emergency Stop Signal (ESS) system that warns vehicles following behind of a sudden stop. These active safety functions are featured as standard equipment on all type.
- *8 Available as a manufacturer’s option in combination with Honda InterNavi