Aug 23, 2012–Tokyo,Japan (Techreleased) –Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the release of three new COOLPIX S-series models that incorporate advanced functions in a stylish design. They are the S6400, S800c and S01.
The S6400 is equipped with a backside illumination CMOS image sensor with an effective pixel count of 16.0-million pixels, a 12x optical zoom NIKKOR lens with coverage for angles of view for focal lengths from the wide-angle 25 mm to 300 mm (equivalents in 35-mm  format), and a touch panel for natural operation, all in a compact and slim body. In addition to excellent basic camera performance, the S6400 offers a number of advanced photographic functions that ensure recording of images as intended with the simplest of operations. Chief among these functions are Target Finding AF, with which the user need simply point the camera at the intended subject and the camera automatically identifies and focuses on that subject; Quick Effects, which allow users to create images with special effects in just three easy steps–shoot, select, and save; and functions for recording full-HD movies with superior picture quality.
The S800c establishes a new line in the COOLPIX S series powered by Android with built-in Wi-Fi® compatibility for operation similar to that of a smartphone and wireless Internet connection. With its backside illumination CMOS sensor with an effective pixel count of 16.0-million pixels and 10x optical zoom NIKKOR lens, however, the S800c enables capture of sharp, blur-free and beautiful images that can be extremely difficult to capture with smartphones. What’s more, users can take full advantage of the camera’s other features, including support for recording of full-HD movies, to upload their stunning photos and movies to social networking sites. The S800c fulfills Nikon’s latest proposal for new ways to use digital cameras–Capture, View, Connect, Enjoy–all in a single, compact body.
The S01 is the smallest and lightest digital camera in the history of the Nikon COOLPIX series, combining the simplicity of a cell phone with the advanced capability for expression of a camera. The body is smaller than a standard business card, measuring approximately 77 mm wide, 51.2 mm high, and 17.2 mm deep, and with a weight of approximately 96 g, it fits easily in the palm of the hand. Special attention was also paid to the design of the camera and materials used. It has a smooth form, regardless of the angle from which it is viewed, and is constructed of a durable yet thin stainless steel that also enables a beautiful finish. The S01 is also equipped with a touch panel display and a user interface (UI) that enables intuitive operation easy enough for anyone to master. As simple operation was also a primary goal for this model, the UI offers a number of convenient features, including a four-section grid structure that anyone can easily master. This is a camera that users will enjoy using and keeping with them at all times.
S6400 Primary Features
- A 12x optical zoom NIKKOR lens with coverage for angles of view for focal lengths from the wide-angle 25 mm to 300 mm (equivalents in 35-mm  format)Equipped with a high-performance, high-power NIKKOR zoom lens for which lens-shift vibration reduction (VR) has been adopted, the S6400 can easily be taken anywhere to capture beautiful photos of all types of scenes, from wide-angle landscapes to those of distant subjects brought closer with zooming. With one of the most compact bodies in its class, the S6400 measures just 19.8 mm at its slimmest despite offering higher-power zoom than the S6300 (10x optical zoom, 24.0 mm at slimmest point).
- Backside illumination CMOS sensor with an effective pixel count of 16.0-million pixels enables capture of images exhibiting little noise at the high sensitivities required for night landscapes and pictures taken indoors under dim lightingThe superior image quality made possible by 16.0-million pixels, and the high-speed performance of the backside illumination CMOS sensor, which supports advanced noise reduction technologies as well as the capture of multiple shots in quick succession, which are then combined and recorded as a single image, enable capture of images as intended, even with shooting in dark or dimly lit surroundings.
- Simply point the camera at the intended subject and Target Finding AF identifies and focuses on that subjectThe S6400 is equipped with the subject identification technology, Target Finding AF, developed exclusively by Nikon. In developing this technology, we analyzed the ways in which users choose their photographic subjects based on an incredible number of shooting simulations. By simply pointing the camera at the intended subject, the camera instantly predicts the portion of the frame on which it should focus. As the active focus area is automatically specified in accordance with the size of the subject, resulting images are in clear focus. In addition, Target Finding AF not only works with subjects positioned at the center of the frame, but with off-center subjects as well. This capability is clearly exhibited, not just with capture of human subjects, but also with shooting of smaller subjects such as flowers, food, and the like.
- *The default AF area mode setting is Center. To enable Target Finding AF, the AF area mode setting must be changed to Target finding AF.
- Quick Effects for editing images in a variety of ways in just 3 easy stepsThis feature allows users to create images with effects in three simple steps–shoot, select, save–using touch panel operations. Users can choose from 30 effects (19 patterns) depending upon the shooting scene or impression they would like to create.Primary quick effects
Pop, Super vivid, Painting, High key, Toy camera effect, Low key, Cross process, Soft, Fisheye, Cross screen, Miniature effect, High-contrast monochrome, Sepia, Cyanotype, Selective color
- Intuitive touch panel operationThe S6400 supports intuitive, stress-free shooting, playback, and editing of images with its 3-inch, approximately 460k-dot widescreen TFT LCD touch panel and new user interface that makes touch operations simple.
- Recording of 1920 x 1080p/30-fps full-HD movies with stereo soundBy simply pressing the movie-record button on the back of the camera, users can record 1920 x 1080p/30-fps full-HD movies with stereo sound. The high sensitivities supported by the backside illumination CMOS sensor enable superior picture quality for movies recorded in dark or dimly lit surroundings, and optical zoom can be applied and adjusted during movie recording. What’s more, multiple movies recorded individually can be saved as a single movie file using the record pause function built into the camera, not only making movie recording simple, but also expanding the ways in which users enjoy movies after they have been recorded.
S800c Primary Features
- The Android 2.3 and Wi-Fi® support for operation that feels like a smartphone and wireless Internet connection
In addition to superior basic camera performance, the S800c offers the natural operation and communications functions of a smartphone (except the phone function), making it a single product for shooting, viewing, connecting, and enjoying. Nikon proposes new ways of enjoying digital photography with the S800c and the fun it offers with network connections.
- Simple setup and connectionSetup and text input for Internet connection using operations that are similar to those used by Android smartphones is possible.
- Browse and post to social networking sites (SNS)The beautiful still photos and movies recorded with this digital camera, as well as comments, can be posted to social networking sites such as Google+™, Facebook, and Twitter*. Not only is posting to an SNS simple, but browsing them is also smooth and easy.
- *Connection to Facebook and/or Twitter requires installation of dedicated apps available on Google Play™.
- Support for Google Play™ and built-in Google™ appsUsers can customize their cameras by downloading favorite apps from Google Play™. This will expand the ways in which users enjoy digital photography. A number of Google apps, including Google+™, YouTube™, Google Maps™, and Gmail™ come preinstalled on the camera.
- Simple image transfer to other smart devicesThe camera’s Upload to Smart Device app can be used to transfer high-resolution photos and movies to smart devices running the Android or iOS operating system over a wireless connection.
- *We plan to release Android and iOS versions of a corresponding app to be used by smart devices.
- Superior basic performance for shooting of images with superior image quality and definitionIt is often very difficult or even impossible to capture decisive moments or telephoto shots with a smartphone. The S800c, however, is always ready for those once-in-a-lifetime images with a level of performance that ensures sharp, blur-free photos. It allows users to easily express themselves in a wide variety of ways as photos with superior image quality and definition can be uploaded directly from the camera to a SNS.
- Equipped with a 10x optical zoom NIKKOR lens with coverage for angles of view for focal lengths from the wide-angle 25 mm to 250 mm (equivalents in 35-mm  format), and built-in lens-shift vibration reduction (VR) function
- Backside illumination CMOS sensor with an effective pixel count of 16.0-million pixels enables capture of images exhibiting little noise at the high sensitivities required for night landscapes and pictures taken indoors under dim lighting
- Functions for recording 1920 x 1080p/30-fps full-HD movies with stereo sound (recording of slow-motion movies that play back at 1/2, 1/4, or 1/8 normal playback speed for a dramatic effect, and fast-motion movies that play back at twice normal playback speed for a comical effect is also possible)
- my Picturetown app for using Nikon’s image storage and sharing service, my PicturetownWhen the my Picturetown app on Google Play™ is downloaded and installed, images captured with the S800c can be easily uploaded to my Picturetown. In addition, the app can be used to browse uploaded images, or to post a URL to a specific my Picturetown album to Facebook or tweet them on Twitter. It can also be used to view a list of my Picturetown albums, to rearrange albums using drag-and-drop operations, or to change their layout. Since images stored on my Picturetown can be accessed directly from the camera, users can easily view or share them with others, almost as if they were carrying photo albums around with them.
- GPS function (A-GPS* compatible) for recording position information with imagesThe high-performance GPS module incorporated into the camera can be used to record position (latitude and longitude) information with photos and movies as they are recorded. When the my Picturetown app is used, the place where these photos and movies were recorded can be displayed on Google Maps™.
- *A-GPS, or Assisted GPS, is a system which can increase the startup performance, or time-to-first-fix, of a GPS positioning system by using extended ephemeris (EE) data. The data file used for A-GPS can be updated by downloading the latest file from Nikon’s web site.
- Equipped with a 3.5-inch, approximately 819k-dot widescreen OLED monitor for vivid reproduction of even the finest detailsThe S800c is equipped with a 3.5-inch, approximately 819k-dot widescreen, OLED touch panel monitor. The high-resolution, widescreen, VGA OLED monitor makes shooting, viewing and sharing photos more enjoyable.
- The OLED enables reproduction of deeper, more vivid colors with clear and beautiful blacks in night landscapes, less loss of detail in highlights (blown highlights), and greater contrast.
- With a broad color gamut, subjects are vividly reproduced. This broad color gamut enables high-definition display of not only images, but the user interface as well.
S01 Primary Features
- The smallest and lightest body in COOLPIX history
The body is smaller than a credit card, measuring approximately 77 mm wide, 51.2 mm high, and 17.2 mm deep, and with a weight of approximately 96 g, it fits easily in the palm of the hand. As the S01 can comfortably hang around the neck, or easily fit in a pocket or purse, it can be taken everywhere, ensuring that you never miss another photo opportunity.
- A premium and stylish design utilizing smoothly curved linesStriving for a premium design, the utmost attention has been paid to the materials used, colors, and finish. Operational controls have been reduced to the absolute minimum, and the camera’s form is perfectly smooth regardless of the angle from which it is viewed. The S01 is available in silver made from highly polished stainless steel with a mirror-like finish, and vivid colors with impact such as red, white, black, and pink.
- A new GUI and optimized touch panel for natural and easy operation despite the compact bodyAiming for simple operation despite the small 2.5-inch, approximately 230k-dot TFT LCD monitor, the S01 has been equipped with a touch panel display that supports intuitive operation and a new GUI with a grid structure that anyone can easily master.
4-section grid structure that is easy to operate
Special effects menu
Simple operation using a shortcut menu
In playback mode, tap and hold an image to add a star icon and add it to favorites, or delete images with a single operation.
- The superior basic performance expected of a Nikon camera with advanced shooting and editing functionsThe S01 offers the superior level of basic performance that is expected of a Nikon digital camera. It is also equipped with a number of functions that make photography simple and fun.
- A 10.1-million pixel CCD image sensor
- A 3x optical zoom NIKKOR lens that covers a broad range of focal lengths from wide-angle 29 mm to 87 mm (equivalents in 35-mm  format)
- The EXPEED C2 high-speed, high-precision image-processing engine that enables rich expression of tones
- Built-in xenon flash
- Easy auto mode with which the camera automatically determines the best scene mode based on shooting conditions when the camera is pointed at a subject
- Special effects (Nostalgic sepia, High-contrast monochrome, High key, Low key) that can be applied prior to recording of photos or movies to achieve the desired exposure or colors
- Filter effects (Toy camera effect, Soft, Fisheye, Miniature effect, Vivid color, Black-and-white, Sepia, Cyanotype) for in-camera editing of photos after they have been captured
- HD movie recording (720p format)