Digital Compact Camera Nikon COOLPIX P7800 – Sep 05, 2013– Tokyo, Japan (Techreleased) – Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the release of the COOLPIX P7800, a high-performance compact digital camera that offers many functions for enjoying full-scale manual photography.
The COOLPIX P7800, the successor to the COOLPIX P7700, offers great expandability with full-scale manual shooting functions available with digital SLR cameras. In addition to a 1/1.7-inch backside illumination CMOS sensor, and a fast, 7.1x optical zoom NIKKOR lens covering the wide-angle 28mm to telephoto 200mm (equivalent focal lengths in 35mm  format) range of focal lengths and boasting superior rendering performance throughout the entire zoom range, operation has been improved even further with a built-in electronic viewfinder (EVF) utilizing a new, high-resolution, approximately 921k-dot (VGA) LCD with diopter adjustment function and frame coverage of 100%, as well as a 3-inch vari-angle TFT LCD monitor with wide viewing angle for which the RGBW system has been adopted.
In addition, with recording of full-HD movies, recording frame rates can be set to switch automatically between 30 and 25 fps depending upon the video output setting (NTSC or PAL) specified with the camera.
Support for system expansion has also been increased to enable more varied forms of imaging expression with a broad range of scenes with compatibility for even more accessories, including external Speedlights*, the GPS Unit, and the Wireless Mobile Adapter WU-1a, Wireless Remote Controllers WR-R10/WR-T10, and compact LED Light LD-1000 (all accessories sold separately).
COOLPIX P7800 Primary Features
- Backside illumination CMOS sensor with an effective pixel count of 12.2-million pixels
Fast 7.1x optical zoom f/2-4 NIKKOR lens that covers the 28mm to 200mm (equivalents in 35mm  format) range of focal lengths(1) 1/1.7-in. backside illumination CMOS sensor with an effective pixel count of 12.2-million pixels
The COOLPIX P7800 is equipped with a 1/1.7-inch backside illumination CMOS sensor. It makes full use of the high-speed performance of the CMOS sensor to offer rich expression of tones with its automatic image overlay technology that reduces blur and noise, and prevents loss of detail in highlights and shadows*1, as well as enabling high-speed continuous shooting at approximately 8 fps*2.
- *1When Hand-held is selected for Night Landscape, and when HDR is enabled with Backlighting.
- *2When Continuous is set to Continuous H, image size is set to 12 M, and image quality is set to Normal (JPEG).
(2) NIKKOR lens
The COOLPIX P7800 is equipped with a fast 7.1x optical zoom f/2-4 NIKKOR lens that covers the 28mm to 200mm (equivalents in 35mm  format) range of focal lengths. With its fast maximum apertures of f/2 at the maximum wide-angle position and f/4 at the maximum telephoto position, the lens is capable of capturing images exhibiting superior resolution and sharpness with little blur or noise throughout the entire zoom range. What’s more, the lens is equipped with the lens-shift vibration reduction (VR) function, which helps to reduce blur caused by camera shake for stable image quality with shooting at high sensitivities. Its seven-blade aperture also enables beautiful rendering of round, very natural looking blur characteristics. It also supports macro photography of subjects as close as approximately 2 cm to the lens at the maximum wide-angle position.
- Equipped with an electronic viewfinder (EVF) constructed of a high-resolution, approx. 921k-dot (VGA) LCD and offering frame coverage of 100%, as well as a 3-in. vari-angle TFT LCD monitor with wide viewing angle for which the RGBW system has been adopted. These features enable operation that responds flexibly to any shooting style.The COOLPIX P7800 is equipped with an electronic viewfinder (EVF) and vari-angle monitor that respond flexibly to any shooting style the user may choose, and also make shooting more comfortable.
The electronic viewfinder (EVF) built into the camera is constructed of an approximately 921k-dot (VGA) LCD and supports frame coverage of 100% for an extremely sharp display. It is also equipped with a convenient diopter adjustment function that makes the display easier to see. Operation has also been improved with the ability to shoot while confirming composition, focus, and exposure settings.
The 3-in. TFT LCD vari-angle monitor with wide viewing angle for which the RGBW system has been adopted offers the same bright and sharp display with faithful rendering of colors as ever, but is actually brighter than earlier RGB monitors. In addition, a very bright monitor display can be specified, without increasing the amount of power used, by setting “Brightness ” in “Monitor settings ” to “Hi “. This makes the monitor display easier to see when very bright light under clear skies makes viewing difficult. The vari-angle monitor also allows users to enjoy very flexible shooting, whether from low or high angles, or even with capture of self portraits. When the monitor is folded in against the camera, the electronic viewfinder (EVF) is activated. Users can also switch between the electronic viewfinder and monitor display with shooting via button operation.
- A variety of controls for convenient operation that enables full-scale manual photographyThe COOLPIX P7800 is equipped with various controls that make full-scale photography with manual operation fun and comfortable, including a mode dial that enables quick specification of one of four exposure modes (P, S, A, M) for more flexible shooting, an exposure compensation dial that allows users to adjust image brightness as desired within the range of -3–+3 EV in steps of 1/3 EV, an AE-L/AF-L button that can be used to lock exposure or focus, as well as a quick menu button.
- Support for a variety of accessories for complete system expansionSupport for Advanced Wireless Lighting, one of the features of the Nikon Creative Lighting System, enables capture of beautiful photographs that bring out main subjects through the effective use of light and shadows. Flash lighting is controlled separately for the master flash and each remote flash group for more creative flash photography using multiple flash units.
In addition, the flash built into the COOLPIX P7800 is equipped with a commander function*1, enabling remote control of a single remote Speedlight*2 via the built-in flash.
The COOLPIX P7800 also supports the GPS Unit GP-1/GP-1A, which can be used to record location information with images during shooting, the Remote Cord MC-DC2, which enables convenient remote release when the camera is mounted on a tripod, and the 40.5mm screw-on filter 40.5 NC. What’s more, the Wireless Mobile Adapter WU-1a, which can be used to transfer images after they have been recorded and control shooting remotely using smart devices, the Wireless Remote Controllers WR-R10/WR-T10, which enable autofocusing with a half-press of the WR-T10’s shutter-release button as well as continuous shooting, and the compact LED Light LD-1000 are now supported. In addition, when the Lens Hood HN-CP17 with its built-in filter adapter is used, 58mm screw-on filters can be attached to the lens hood. This support for such a wide variety of accessories*3 enables greater system expansion.
- *1The built-in flash emits low-level flashes to wirelessly control an off-camera, optional Speedlight as a remote flash.
- *2The SB-910, SB-700, and SB-R200 optional Speedlights may be used as remote flashes. When the SB-R200 is used, the SX-1 Attachment Ring cannot be mounted on the camera. Mounting the SB-R200 on the AS-20 Speedlight Stand is recommended.
- *3All accessories sold separately.
- Function for recording full-HD movies with stereo sound, and a Movie Custom Setting modeThe fast lens and backside illumination CMOS sensor built into the camera offer recording of movies with little noise, even when scenes offer little light. In the COOLPIX P7800’s Movie Custom Setting mode, shutter speed, aperture, and ISO sensitivity can all be set freely. In addition, a new function supports recording with automatic switching of movie frame rates between 30 and 25 fps in accordance with the video output setting (NTSC or PAL) specified with the camera.
- Designed for smooth operation and comfortThe COOLPIX P7800 continues with the same basic design as the very popular P7700, which utilized a light, yet durable, magnesium alloy and simple form with operational controls positioned for ease of use and smooth operation.
Additional COOLPIX P7800 Features and Functions
- A built-in neutral density (ND) filter that reduces the amount of light that passes through the lens, enabling a three-stop decrease in shutter speed with bright scenes.
- Virtual horizon, for which display can be selected from two options depending upon the situation or circumstances, for visual confirmation that the camera is horizontally and vertically level
- Support for NRW (RAW) files that can be processed using the camera with COOLPIX Picture Control
- Equipped with the EXPEED C2 image-processing engine