D-Link Now Shipping 802.11ac Unified Wireless Access Point – Aug 19, 2014– Taipei, Taiwan (Techreleased) – D-Link today announced the DWL-8610AP, a new high power, 802.11ac unified wireless access point. Rich with advanced radio management and security features, the DWL-8610AP allows IT professionals to get the most of their wireless network and maximize their users’ experience.
The DWL-8610AP delivers reliable, high-speed wireless performance using the latest 802.11ac standards, with maximum wireless signal rates of up to 450 Mbps using the 2.4 GHz band, and 1300 Mbps using the 5 GHz band. It supports impressive device densities and offers optimal range and coverage over both bands.
“Our students and faculty access our wireless network with a variety of devices, including laptops, tablets and smartphones,” said Kevin O’Neill, technology director, Gretna Public Schools in Gretna Nebraska. “As we continue to scale our network, the DWL-8610AP with 802.11ac technology allows us to handle these increasing demands and connect more users and more devices.”
The DWL-8610AP is easy to install and can be powered using the included AC to DC adapter, or directly through the network cable using Power over Ethernet from any switch or midspan injector that supports IEEE 802.3at.
“Wireless users in schools and businesses expect connectivity and bandwidth – it’s all about performance,” said Steven Olen, director of product marketing, D-Link Systems, Inc. “Our Unified Wireless systems maximize user experience and help achieve this via seamless roaming, load balancing, and other advanced RF management features.”
About the DWL-8610AP
Versatile and powerful, the DWL-8610AP can be flexibly deployed as an autonomously managed, standalone wireless access point, or as a centrally managed access point controlled by a D-Link Unified Wireless Switch or Wireless Controller. Businesses can start with standalone mode deployment and then migrate to a centrally managed system anytime later.
An important benefit to a centrally managed wireless network is proper RF management. When a number of access points are deployed close to each other, interference may result. The DWL-8610AP will sense a neighbor nearby and automatically select a non-interfering channel, greatly reducing RF interference and allowing administrators to deploy APs more densely. When a nearby AP is operating on the same channel, the DWL-8610AP will minimize interference by automatically lowering its transmission power. At any time should a nearby AP drop from the network, the DWL-8610AP will increase its transmission power to expand coverage.
Additional benefits include:
- Band Steering: detects and steers 5 GHz capable clients away from the overcrowded 2.4 GHz network to the less congested 5 GHz network.
- Load balancing: ensures maximum performance by limiting the maximum number of users per access point.
- Beamforming technology: enables even greater reach. By focusing the wireless signal at connected devices, it guarantees continuous fast wireless speeds, even under heavy network utilization or in areas that have bad wireless signal.
- Plenum-rated chassis: adheres to strict fire regulations for placement in air passageways.
- Limited Lifetime Warranty: carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty, furthering D-Link’s commitment to product quality and long-term customer confidence.
The new DWL-8610AP unified wireless access point is currently shipping through D-Link’s vast network of channel partners, including value-added resellers and distributors and online retailers.