All-new Lincoln Vehicles are Quieter by Design – Nov 04, 2014– Dearborn, USA (Techreleased) – Clever engineering and thoughtful design solutions help make Lincoln vehicles among the quietest on the road.
Providing an oasis of quiet is something luxury customers increasingly crave. An article in the Oct. 6 issue of Fortune, for example noted how high-end hotels and resorts are putting a greater focus on offering silence as an amenity.
“To attract a new luxury client, we’re elevating all aspects of the driving experience, including an intense focus on providing a quiet interior,” said Scott Tobin, director, Lincoln Product Development. “A combination of engineering, manufacturing and design related actions are being implemented to provide a calm, comfortable environment, and a better customer experience.”
Quiet by design
Even before the engine is started, the interior of a vehicle can be designed to provide a refuge from a hectic world.
Reducing “visual noise” begins with a strong emphasis on horizontal lines and thoughtful interaction between shapes. Shapes work together so that what occupants see convey a sense of quiet – forms and lines are arranged so they are smooth and flowing.
Rich and premium materials are comfortable, of course, but also exude a certain confidence. That confidence can breed a sense of calm, so authentic materials, such as natural woods and metals, combined with high grades of leather, complete the environment.
Hush up out there
Engineering and design elements that are used to create a quiet environment for customers include:
- Sound-absorbing interior trim panels capture unwanted sound within the cabin
- Acoustic-laminate windshield and front side glass help reduce highway-speed noise levels (available with 2015 Lincoln MKC Reserve package)
- Acoustic and aero-designed mirrors are optimized to decrease cabin noise levels by controlling airflow across the side
- Noise-reducing material in the pillars, carpet and trim panels, as well as enhanced sealing below the doors dampens interior noise levels
- “Do Not Disturb” feature on SYNC® blocks incoming phone calls or text messages. Calls are diverted to voicemail, and text messages are saved on the device for later viewing
- Active noise control uses microphones and speakers to analyze and capture sounds, generating inverted sound waves to cancel out unwanted noise