July 26, 2012– Neuilly,USA (Techreleased) – Thales is delighted to announce the signature on July 2nd of the first Integrated In-Service Support (IISS) contract by the Organisation for Joint Armaments Cooperation (OCCAr) and Eurosam*.
This complex five-year contract of €360m, is the first joint, multisystem and multinational support contract for Naval & Ground Medium range Air Defence Systems.
Throughout the lifetime of the contract, in-service support will be provided to three nations; France, Italy and the United Kingdom, and to five armed forces , the French Air Force, the Italian Army, the British Royal Navy and the Italian and French Navies.
As a major Eurosam stakeholder, Thales is a key player in this contract and is specifically responsible for:
- The Firing Control System (SAAM-Fr) of the French Navy’s aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle
- The Long Range Radar (S1850) of the French and Italian Horizon frigates
- The Firing Control System (PAAMS) software of the French and Italian Horizon frigates
- The Firing Control System of 17 French and Italian ground medium range air defence systems (SAMP/T)
All land and naval weapon systems provided to end users will benefit from this continued support for the SAMP-T, SAAM-FR, SAAM-IT, PAAMS.
This contract will not only allow the rationalisation of the needed industrial support capabilities and the continued support to the armed forces for these weapons systems but also ensure the consistency of their evolution.
Commenting on this signingPhilippe Dusautoir,VP, Thales Integrated Defence Solutions, said “This is the first time a multinational support contract of this magnitude is signed to simultaneously meet the needs of the armed forces of three great powers. Levels of coordination, cohesion and preparation required to ensure that things go well are considerable and this contract is proof of the great trust placed in us and in Eurosam. We very much look forward to the challenge ahead”.
* Eurosam is a joint venture between Thales and MBDA.