Sept 10, 2012–Tokyo,Japan (Techreleased) –PENTAX K-5 II the new flagship model of the Pentax K digital SLR camera series. PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. is pleased to announce the launch of the PENTAX K-5 II digital SLR camera as its new flagship model of the acclaimed PENTAX K series.
This new model is designed to be the successor to the PENTAX K-5 (launched in October 2010), which has been very well received for its compact but solid, functional body and high-quality image reproduction. As the flagship model of the K series, the K-5 II boasts many advanced functions and user-friendly features, including a newly developed AF sensor assuring a broader AF working EV range, to accommodate many kinds of shooting conditions and photographic requirements.
Also launched together is the PENTAX K-5 II s, an Anti-aliasing filter-less variant of the new camera. The K-5 II s is perfect for photographers who prioritize the image resolution over all other factors, with a clear understanding of the function and characteristics of an anti-aliasing filter.
- A new SAFOX X AF module for the top AF performance in its classThe K-5 II features a newly developed, highly sensitive SAFOX X AF module. Thanks to the unit’s high-sensitivity AF sensor, which performs brilliantly in low-light conditions, this new module offers a broad AF working EV range (-3 EV to +18 EV). SAFOX X can work with luminous flux based on F2.8 levels in addition to that of F5.6. This increase the AF accuracy drastically when using with very fast lenses coupled with an upgraded AF algorithm, it delivers exceptional AF performance, including such useful features as a select-area expansion function, which automatically tracks the subject even when it moves away from a pre-assigned select point by assessing distance data collected by neighboring focus sensors.
- High-quality LCD monitor with outstanding visibility outdoorsThe K-5 II comes equipped with a 3.0-inch, wide-view, air-gap-free LCD monitor with approximately 921,000 dots. Sandwiched between the front glass panel (which is coated with an anti-glare film) and the LCD screen is a unique resin layer that cuts down the reflection and dispersion of the light to effectively prevent ghost images and greatly reduce brightness loss. The front panel is also made of tempered glass to keep it free of scratches and abrasions.
- High-resolution, true-to-life images with minimal noiseWith its large sensor measuring 23.7mm by 15.7mm in size with approximately 16.28 effective megapixels, the K-5 II’s latest-generation CMOS image sensor assures high-speed image data readout. By coupling this high-performance image sensor with the acclaimed PRIME (PENTAX Real Image Engine) II imaging engine, the K-5 II delivers super-high-resolution, rich-gradation digital images free of digital noise over a wide sensitivity range — from ISO 100 to ISO 12800 in standard setting, or from ISO 80 to ISO 51200 when expanded via a custom function.
- Bright, clear optical viewfinder with a 100% field of viewThe K-5 II features a glass pentaprism finder with a nearly 100% field of view and approximately 0.92-times magnification (with a 50mm F1.4 lens at infinity) to provide a sharp, clear view of the entire image field and improve the accuracy and speed of focusing and image composition. It also comes with the renowned Natural-Bright-Matte III focusing screen to facilitate manual-focus operation.
- Compact, solid body with dustproof, weather-resistant construction perfect for outdoor shootingThe K-5 II’s exterior casing is made of sturdy yet lightweight magnesium alloy, while its chassis is made of highly rigid stainless steel. Thanks to the inclusion of 77 special seals in the body, it boasts a dustproof, weather-resistant and cold-resistant construction, assuring reliable operation even under demanding outdoor conditions, and at temperatures as low as -10°C. It also features a dependable shutter unit that provides a top shutter speed of 1/8000 second and the outstanding durability to withstand as many as 100,000 shutter releases.
- High-speed continuous shooting to capture up to seven images in a secondThe K-5 II’s high-speed continuous shooting mode records as many as 30 images (in the JPEG format) in a single sequence at a maximum speed of approximately seven images per second, allowing the photographer to preserve sharp, crisp images of active, fast-moving subjects — such as athletes, stage performers and wildlife — with great ease.
- PENTAX-original SR mechanism with user-assisting optionsThe K-5 II features the PENTAX-developed SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism, which effectively compensates the adverse effect of camera shake by approximately three shutter steps, to produce sharp, blur-free images. This image sensor shift-type SR mechanism works with almost all PENTAX interchangeable lenses — even those designed for film-format cameras.* Thanks to its flexible design, which tilts the image sensor unit in all directions, the K-5 II offers several useful features to assist the photographer during shooting, such as auto level compensation and image-composition fine-adjustment functions. In combination with the optional GPS Unit O-GPS1, it also offers an ASTROTRACER function to simplify astronomical photography.* Lenses compatible with this mechanism: PENTAX K-, KA-, KAF-, KAF2- and KAF3-mount lenses; screw-mounted lenses (with adapter); and 645- and 67-system lenses (with adapter). Some functions may not be available with certain lenses.
- Innovative image-processing functions to produce distinctive photographic expressionsThe K-5 II features the custom image function, which allows the users to easily select the desired finishing touch for a particular image, in order to more faithfully express their creative intention or emphasize the prevailing atmosphere. This function offers a choice of nine distinctive custom image modes, such as: Bleach Bypass, which creates a solemn visual effect used in motion pictures; and Cross Process, which produces eye-catching images with unique, dramatic colors. The K-5 II also offers 18 digital filters including Sketch and Posterization to add distinctive visual effects to captured images, without the need of a computer. The user can even apply different filters one after another to a single image to create more inventive visual effects.
- K-5 II s achieves supreme resolutionThe K-5 IIs is a model offered without an anti-aliasing filter; this filter, commonly found in dSLRs, helps smooth computer generated imagery by decreasing high frequencies and distortion, but also reduces detail resolution. Without this filter included, the K-5 II s creates opportunities for deeply rich, detailed imagery at supreme resolution levels. Capture stunning landscapes and scenes with maximum depth of field and clarity. The K-5 II s model is the perfect choice for studio and commercial photography where camera settings, lens selection and shooting conditions are controlled.
- Other features
- 77-segment multi-pattern metering system, for extra-accurate light measurement
- Customizable Slow Shutter Speed NR (Noise Reduction) setting, with a choice of Auto, On and Off modes
- Customizable High-ISO sensitivity NR (Noise Reduction) setting, with a camera-dependent Auto mode and a user-adjustable reduction strength preset for each ISO setting
- Electronic Level function, with a vertical level scale
- Automatic compensation of distortion and lateral chromatic aberration (available only with DA-,DFA- and FA Limited-series lenses)
- CTE mode, to automatically adjust the white-balance to emphasize the dominant colors of a specific scene
- DR II (Dust Removal II) mechanism, to effectively shake dust off the CMOS image sensor using ultrasonic vibration
- PENTAX-original Hyper control system, to swiftly and accurately respond to the photographer’s creative intentions
- Dynamic-range expansion function, to compensate for both whitewashed (overexposed) highlight area and black-out (underexposed) shadow area
- RAW data retrieve function to save an original raw data of a just-recorded JPEG-format image
- RAW/Fx button, for single-action switching of image file format, as well as for assignment and instant recall of a specific function
- A choice of three grid patterns while in Live-view mode, including “Golden Section”
- Long battery life, for recording of approximately 980 images with full recharge
- PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4 software package, including a RAW-data processing and browser application (based on the popular SILKYPIX RAW-data processing engine developed by Ichikawa Soft Laboratory) and a browser application
K-5 II / K-5 II s Specifications
|Model Description||Type||TTL autofocus, auto-exposure SLR digital-still camera with built-in retractable P-TTL flash|
|Lens Mount||PENTAX KAF2 bayonet mount (AF coupler, lens information contacts, K-mount with power contacts)|
|Compatible Lens||KAF3, KAF2 (power zoom compatible), KAF, KA mount lens|
|Image Capture Unit||Image Sensor||Primary color filter, CMOS. Size: 23.7 x 15.7 (mm)|
|Effective Pixels||Approx. 16.28 megapixels|
|Total Pixels||Approx. 16.93 megapixels|
|Dust Removal||Image sensor cleaning using ultrasonic vibrations “DR II” with the Dust Alert function|
|AUTO/100 to 12800 (EV steps can be set to 1EV, 1/2EV, or 1/3EV),
expandable from ISO 80 to ISO 51200. Up to ISO 1600 in Bulb mode.
|Motion blur compensation||Type/construction||CMOS image sensor shift|
|Approx. 3EV (depending on the used lens type and shooting conditions)|
|File Formats||File Format||RAW (PEF/DNG), JPEG (Exif 2.30), DCF2.0 compliant|
|Recorded Pixels||JPEG: 16M (4928×3264 pixels), 10M (3936×2624 pixels), 6M (3072×2048 pixels), 2M (1728×1152 pixels)
RAW: 16M (4928×3264 pixels)
|Quality Level||RAW (14bit): PEF, DNG JPEG: ★★★★ (Premium), ★★★ (Best), ★★ (Better), ★ (Good),
RAW + JPEG simultaneous capturing available
|Color Space||sRGB, AdobeRGB|
|Storage Media||SD/SDHC Memory Card|
|Storage Folder||Date (100_1018,101_1019…) / PENTX (100PENTX, 101PENTX…)|
|Coverage (FOV)||Approx. 100%|
|Magnification||Approx. 0.92x (50mmF1.4 at infinity)|
|Eye-Relief Length||Approx. 21.7mm (from the view window), Approx 24.5mm (from the center of lens)|
|Diopter adjustment||Approx. -2.5m to + 1.5m-1|
|Focusing Screen||Interchangeable Natural-Bright-Matte III focusing screen|
|Live view||Type||TTL method using CMOS image sensor|
|Focusing Mechanism||Contrast detection + Face detection / Contrast detection / Phase matching|
|Display||Field of View approx. 100%, Magnified view (AF mode: 2x, 4x, 6x / MF mode: 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x, 10x),
Grid display (4×4 Grid, Golden Section, Scale display), Bright/dark area warning, Histogram
|LCD Monitor||Type||Wide viewing angle TFT color LCD with AR coating, Air-gapless glass.|
|Dots||Approx. 921,000 dots|
|Adjustment||Brightness and colors adjustable|
|Preview||Type||Optical preview, digital preview|
|White Balance||Auto||Method using a combination of the CMOS image sensor and the light source detection sensor|
|Preset||Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Fluorescent Light (D:Daylight Color, N:Daylight White, W:Cool White, L:Warm White),
Tungsten Light, Flash, CTE, Manual, Color Temperature
|Manual||Configuration using the display screen (up to 3 settings can be saved),
Color Temperature settings (up to 3 settings can be saved),
Copying the white balance setting of a captured image
|Fine Adjustment||Adjustable ±7 steps on A-B axis or G-M axis|
|Autofocus System||Type||TTL: phase-matching autofocus|
|Focus Sensor||SAFOX X, 11 point (9 cross type focus points in the center)|
|Brightness Range||EV-3 to 18 (ISO 100 / at normal temperature)|
|AF Mode||Single AF (AF.S), Continuous AF (AF.C)
Focus priority or shutter priority mode for AF.S
Focus priority or FPS priority mode for AF.C
|AF Point Selection||Auto: 5 points, Auto: 11 points, Select, Center|
|AF Assist Light||Dedicated LED AF assist light|
|Metering||Type||TTL open aperture, 77 segmented metering, center-weighted and spot metering|
|Exposure Compensation||EV0 to 22 (ISO100 at 50mm F1.4)|
|Exposure Modes||Green, Program, Sensitivity Priority, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Shutter & Aperture Priority,
Manual, Bulb, Flash X-sync Speed
|EV Compensation||±5EV (1/2EV steps or 1/3EV steps can be selected)|
|AE Lock||Button type (timer type: two times the meter operating time set in Custom Setting);
Continuous as long as the shutter button is halfway pressed
|Shutter||Type||Electronically controlled vertical-run focal plane shutter|
|Shutter Speed||Auto: 1/8000 to 30 sec., Manual: 1/8000 to 30 sec. (1/3EV steps or 1/2EV steps), Bulb|
|Drive Modes||Mode Selection||Single frame, Continuous (Hi, Lo), Self-timer (12s, 2s), Remote Control (immediately, 3 sec., continuous),
Auto Bracketing (2, 3 or 5 frames), Auto Bracketing + Self-timer, Auto Bracketing + Remote Control,
Mirror-up, Mirror-up + Remote Control
|Continuous Shooting||Max. approx. 7.0 fps, JPEG (16M: ★★★ at Continuous Hi): up to approx. 30 frames, RAW: up to approx. 20 frames
Max. approx. 1.6 fps, JPEG (16M: ★★★ at Continuous Lo): until SD Memory Card is full, RAW: up to approx. 40 frames
|Built-in Flash||Type||Built-in P-TTL flash with pop-up,
GN: approx. 13 (ISO100/m)
Angle of view: equivalent to angle of view of 28mm lens (35mm format equivalent)
|Flash Modes||P-TTL, Red-eye Reduction, Slow-speed Sync, Trailing Curtain Sync.
High-Speed Sync and Wireless Sync are also available with PENTAX dedicated external flash.
|Sync Speed||1/180 sec.|
|-2.0 to + 1.0EV|
|Capture Setting||Custom Image||Bright, Natural, Portrait, Landscape, Vibrant, Muted, Monochrome, Reversal Film, Bleach Bypass|
|Noise Reduction||Slow Shutter Speed NR, High-ISO NR|
|Highlight Correction, Shadow Correction|
|Lens Correction||Distortion Correction, Lateral Chromatic Aberration Correction|
|Cross Processing||Randum, Preset 1-3, Favorite 1-3|
|Digital Filter||Toy Camera, Retro, High Contrast, Extract Color, Soft, Starburst, Fish-eye, Custom Filter|
|HDR||Auto, Standard, Strong 1, Strong 2, Strong 3, Automatic composition correction function|
|Multi-exposure||Select number of shots between 2 to 9. Auto EV adjustment available.|
|Horizon Correction||SR On: correction up to 1 degrees, SR Off: correction up to 2 degrees|
|Composition Adjustment||Adjustment range of ±1.5mm up, down, left or light (1mm when rotated); rotating range of 1 dehree|
|Extended Bracketing||White Balance, Saturation, hue, high/low key adjustment, contrast and sharpness bracketing|
|Interval Shooting||Capture Interval setting (1 sec. to 24 hours), Start Interval setting (Immediate, designated time),
Captures up to 999 images
|Electronic Level||Displayed in viewfinder (horizontal direction only);
displayed on LCD monitor (horizontal direction and vertical direction)
|Movie||File Format||Motion JPEG (AVI)|
|Recorded Pixels||Full HD (1920×1080, 16:9, 25 fps), HD (1280×720, 16:9, 30 fps/25 fps), VGA (640×480, 4:3, 30 fps/25 fps)|
|Quality Level||★★★ (Best), ★★ (Better), ★ (Good)|
|Sound||Built-in monaural microphone, external stereo microphone terminal|
|Recording Time||Up to 25 minutes; automatically stops recording if the internal temperature of the camera becomes high.|
|Custom Images||Bright, Natural, Portrait, Landscape, Vibrant, Muted, Monochrome, Reversal Film, Bleach Bypass|
|Cross Processing||Randum, Preset 1-3, Favorite 1-3.|
|Digital Filter||Toy Camera, Retro, High contrast, Extract Color, Color|
|Playback||Playback View||Single frame, Image comparison, multi-image display (4, 9, 16, 36, 81 segmentation),
display magnification (up to 32x, scrolling and quick magnification available), rotating,
histogram (Y histogram, RGB histogram), bright/dark area warning, detailed inf
|Delete||Delete single image, delete all, select & delete, delete folder, delete instant review image|
|Digital Filter||Toy Camera, Monochrome, Retro, Color, High Contrast, Soft, Extract Color, Starburst, Sketch Filter,
Water Color, Fisy-eye, Pastel, Slim, Miniature, HDR, Posterization, Base Parameter Adjustment, Custom Filter
|RAW Development||File Format (JPEG/TIFF), Custom Image, White Balance, Sensitivity, High-ISO NR, Shadow Correction,
Distortion Correction, Lateral Chromatic Aberration Correction, Color Space
|Edit||Resize, Cropping (Aspect ratio and Slant adjustment available), Index,
Movie Edit (Divide or delete selected frames), Capturing a JPEG still picture from a movie
|Customization||USER Mode||Up to 5 settings can be saved|
|Custom Functions||27 items|
|Mode Memory||13 items|
|Custom Button||RAW/Fx Button (One Push File Format, Exposure Bracketing, Digital Preview, Electronic Level,
Composition Adjustment, GPS),
AF button (Enable AF, Cancel AF)
Various settings for the action of the e-dials in each exposure mode can also be saved.
|Text Size||Standard, Large|
|World Time||World Time settings for 75 cities (28 time zones)|
|Language||English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Polish,
Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Greek, Russian, Korean, Chinese (Traditional/Simplified), Japanese
|AF fine Adjustment||±10 step, Uniform adjustment, Individual adjustment (up to 20 can be saved)|
|Copyright Information||Named of “Photographer” and “Copyright Holder” are embedded to the image file.
Revision history can be checked using the provided software.
|Power Supply||Battery Type||Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery D-LI90P|
|AC Adapter||AC Adopter Kit K-AC50 (Optional)|
|Battery Life||Number of recordable images:
(with 50% flash usage): approx. 740 images,
(without flash usage): approx: 980 images
Approx. 440 minutes
* With a fully-recharged Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery. Tested in compliance with CIPA standard.
Actual results may vary depending on the shooting condition.
|Interfaces||Connection Port||USB2.0 (high-speed compatible) / AV output terminal, external power supply terminal,
external release controller terminal, X-synch socket, DHMI output terminal, stereo miscrophone input terminal
|Video Output Format||NTSC/PAL|
|Dimensions and Weight||Dimensions||Approx. 131mm (W) x 97mm (H) x 72.5mm (D) (excluding protrusions)|
|Weight||Approx. 760g (Including dedicated battery and SD Memory Card), Approx. 680g (body only)|
|Accessories||Included||USB cable I-USB7, AV cable I-AVC7, Strap O-ST132, ME Viewfinder Cap, Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery D-LI90P,
Battery Charger D-BC90P, AC plug cord, Software (CD-ROM) S-SW132
Eyecup FR, Hot shoe cover FK, Body mount cover, sync sock
|Software||PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4|