Nikon Introduces compact and lightweight camera – Nikon 1 J5 –Apr 02, 2015– Tokyo, Japan (Techreleased) – Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the release of the new NIKON 1 J5, the latest model in the J series of Nikon 1, Advanced Cameras with Interchangeable lenses, propose new forms of imaging expression.
The NIKON 1 J5 is an extremely portable compact and lightweight camera, a primary characteristic of the Nikon 1 series, with which the world’s fastest continuous shooting with AF at up to approximately 20 fps, as well as the world’s shortest shooting time lag, have been achieved. It offers moving-subject capturing performance that exceeds that of digital SLR cameras, and even better image quality and operation than ever before.
It has an effective pixel count of 20.8-million pixels, and is equipped with a new backside-illumination CMOS image sensor and the new EXPEED 5A image-processing engine. Improved noise reduction functions enable even better image quality at high sensitivities. In addition, the NIKON 1 J5 supports recording of 4K movies that make ultra high-definition imaging expression possible.
Operation has been improved with a number of features that offer greater support for full-scale photography, including Function (Fn) button, to which a frequently used function can be assigned beforehand, a command dial that allows users to adjust settings while framing images, and a tilting LCD monitor that enables capture of self-portraits.
The NIKON 1 J5 is also equipped with more shooting functions and effects such as seven new Creative modes, which make more varied photography fun and easy, and Glamour Retouch for making faces look attractive after they are captured.
What’s more, the NIKON 1 J5 is equipped with an NFC function and a dedicated Wi-Fi button that enable simple connection to a smart device, such as a smartphone or tablet, via Wi-Fi® connection.
NIKON 1 J5 Features
- Incredible moving-subject capturing performance that exceeds that of digital SLR cameras
- The world’s fastest high-speed continuous shooting with AF at approximately 20 fps, and the world’s shortest shooting time lagThe superior AF performance of the NIKON 1 J5 enables capture of even moving subjects in sharp focus. The world’s fastest high-speed continuous shooting with AF at approximately 20 fps and the world’s shortest shooting time lag enable certain capture of decisive moments.
- Advanced hybrid AF system features 105 phase-detection AF points that respond quickly and precisely to rapidly changing scenesPhase-detection teams with contrast-detect AF for virtually full-frame coverage.
Featuring 171 AF points tightly packed over nearly the entire frame, of which 105 are phase-detection points, this system offers superb focus accuracy for any scene.
- Sports mode optimal for photographing moving subjectsThe mode dial on the NIKON 1 J5 offers a Sports mode that makes capturing rapidly moving subjects fun and easy. Choosing Sports mode enables quick adjustment of settings suited to continuous shooting. With playback, each burst or series of images captured in Sports mode plays back as a group, making viewing and confirming images after capture smoother.
- An effective pixel count of 20.8-million pixels, a new backside-illumination CMOS image sensor, and the new EXPEED 5A image-processing engine achieve even better image qualityThe NIKON 1 J5 offers a backside-illumination structure adopted for the first time in the Nikon 1 series with a newly developed backside-illumination CMOS image sensor.
This, along with the renowned EXPEED 5A image-processing engine, achieves extremely detailed rendering of images with which noise is effectively suppressed throughout the ISO 160–12800 range of sensitivities. The ISO 6400 (NR) and 12800 (NR) noise reduction functions use very precise processing to combine images with shooting at high sensitivities to acquire photos exhibiting superior image quality with very little noise, even with shooting in dimly lit surroundings or situations. In addition, the noise reduction function used with movie recording has been improved for movies exhibiting superior picture quality in which noise is effectively suppressed. Further, Active D-Lighting, which can now be used with movies, allows users to record movies exhibiting beautiful rendering, even of backlit or high-contrast scenes.
- Superior operation that supports intuitive, full-scale photography
- An Fn (function) button to which a frequently used function can be assignedThe NIKON 1 J5 is the first camera in the J series to be equipped with a Function (Fn) button to which a frequently used function can be assigned. This enables immediate access to the assigned function by simply pressing the Fn button during shooting. By assigning a function regularly used to the Function (Fn) button, flexibility of use is significantly increased.
- A command dial that can be used to adjust settings while framing imagesThe NIKON 1 J5 is the first camera in the J series to be equipped with a command dial for smooth adjustment of camera settings. It allows users to adjust a variety of settings without looking away from the scene they have framed.
- A tilting LCD monitor and Self-portrait mode convenient for capturing self-portraitsThe camera is equipped with a tilting LCD monitor that not only supports shooting from low and high angles, but also supports capture of self-portraits. When the tilting monitor is reversed for capturing self-portraits, the new Self-portrait mode is automatically enabled with display that allows users to confirm composition and the like while taking photos of themselves.
- A comfortable gripThe elegant and refined body offers a grip that seems to form to the hand for a firm and steady hold.
- A compact and lightweight body that is both elegant and easy to useThe NIKON 1 J5 is an elegant camera with an authentic appearance, functional design and mechanical buttons and dials with a metal feel that will make users proud to own. The compact and lightweight body is extremely portable and comfortable to use, even over extended periods of time, supporting hours of reliable shooting enjoyment.
- Enhanced imaging functions
- Equipped with a function for recording 4K moviesThe NIKON 1 J5 is Nikon’s first digital camera to be equipped with a 4K (3840 x 2160/15p) movie-recording function that makes recording beautiful, ultra high-definition movies enjoyable. 4K movies up to ten minutes in length can be recorded.
- Creative modes and Glamour Retouch that makes more varied photography fun and easyThe NIKON 1 J5 offers seven new Creative modes: Pop, Retro, High-contrast Monochrome, Nostalgic Sepia, Cross Screen, Fisheye, and Skin Softening. In addition, Selective Color and Cross Process modes can now be used with movie recording for more creative movie expression. The NIKON 1 J5 is also equipped with Glamour Retouch that allows users to change or enhance the impressions of faces they have captured. Eight Glamour Retouch effects are available: Skin Softening, Small Face, Big Eyes, Brighten Faces, Hide Eye Bags, Whiten Eyes, Whiten Teeth, and Redden Cheeks.
- NFC support and a dedicated Wi-Fi button that make transferring images even easierThe NIKON 1 J5 is equipped with a dedicated Wi-Fi button that makes connecting to a smart device, such as a smartphone or tablet, via Wi-Fi connection even easier. The camera is also equipped with an NFC function that enables simple Wi-Fi connection by simply touching the camera to an NFC-enabled smart device.