Kindle Fire HDX Available in Australia—Powerhouse Tablets Built for Work and Play – Nov 13, 2013– Seattle, USA (Techreleased) – Amazon today announced that the third generation of Kindle Fire—The 7” Kindle Fire HDX, at a suggested retail price of AU$329, will be available November 26 and the 8.9” Kindle Fire HDX, at a suggested retail price AU$479, will be available December 10 at Big W and Dick Smith stores. The new Kindle Fire HDX tablets combine groundbreaking hardware, the latest version of Fire OS and exclusive new features and services. Learn more about the new Kindle Fire HDX family at www.amazon.com.au/KindleFireHDX.
The new Kindle Fire HDX family features:
- Stunning exclusive HDX display—beyond HD with exceptional pixel density (323 ppi for 7”, 339 ppi for 8.9”), perfect 100%sRGB colour accuracy, reduced glare, dynamic image contrastand improved brightness for better viewing in any lighting conditions.
- Powerful quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor running at 2.2 GHz provides over 3x the processing power compared to the previous generation, plus the latest graphics engine and 2x more memory for fast and fluid performance. These are the only tablets with a processor over 2 GHz.
- Startlingly light design—at just 374 grams, the 8.9” Kindle Fire HDX is the lightest large-screen tablet.
- Powered by the latest version of Fire OS—Fire OS 3.0 “Mojito”—with hundreds of new and upgraded features, platform updates and Amazon-exclusive services.
- All-day battery life—up to 11 hours of mixed use and 17 hours of reading.
- Updated email, calendar and Silk browser to stay connected and productive.
- New enterprise features including Kerberos Intranet, secure Wi-Fi connections, VPN integration and wireless printing.
- Dual stereo speakers with Dolby Digital Plus audio and virtual 5.1 multi-channel surround sound—the standard in high-end audio.
- Front-facing HD camera makes it easy to stay in touch with Skype, plus a new 8 megapixel wide- aperture rear-facing camera on the 8.9” Fire HDX offers crisp photos and 1080p HD video.
- Deep integration with the Amazon content ecosystem—millions of apps, games and books.
- New Origami covers feature an innovative design that allows you to position Fire HDX in both portrait and landscape.
“It’s been just two years since we introduced the first Kindle Fire, and we are grateful for the overwhelmingly positive response from customers. The team is innovating at an unbelievable speed, and we’re excited to bring our new Kindle Fire HDX to Australia,” said Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com Founder and CEO. “2.2 GHz processor, 339 ppi display, new 34 per cent lighter design, Fire OS 3.0 and new exclusive features and services. We’ve worked hard to pack this much hardware, innovation and customer obsession into these prices.”
Here’s what reviewers in the US have to say about the new Kindle Fire HDX:
- “As it is, the Kindle Fire HDX is a lightweight, sharp-screened, superfast pleasure.” – New York Times
- “HDX hums with nary a hiccup or UI stutter.” – Wired
- “It’s got a sleek redesign, blazing fast guts, and a few new tricks. Most of all, though, it’s the best small tablet you can buy.” – Gizmodo
- “Spending the weekend with Amazon’s Kindle Fire HDX 7-inch tablet, it’s easy to see why Amazon has built a commanding lead in the Android tablet space.” – Mashable
- “There’s a lot to like about the Kindle Fire HDX. The screen is superb, the form-factor sober but sturdy, and the processor cutting edge for the market.” – SlashGear
- “For the first time, truly, the company has made a product that won’t make some users feel like they’re compromising an excellent user experience for a cheap price tag. Because now, Amazon’s tablet line has both.” – Fortune
First-Ever, Exclusive HDX Display—Beyond HD
Amazon’s exclusive HDX display brings together exceptional pixel density (1920×1200 at 323 ppi for 7”, 2560×1600 at 339 ppi for 8.9”) and perfect colour accuracy (100%sRGB), resulting in images and videos that display as the photographer or videographer intended. The new display also features dynamic image contrast, a unique algorithm that adjusts the colour of each pixel depending on the ambient brightness in order to maximize contrast. This makes images and videos even easier to see in any lighting conditions, including outdoors. See a video: www.amazon.com.au/display.
2.2 GHz, Quad-Core Processor and 2x the RAM
Kindle Fire HDX tablets are the first tablets powered by the most advanced quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor. These are the only tablets with a processor over 2 GHz—the four cores can each run at 2.2GHz, providing 28 billion instructions per second—over 3x the processing power of the previous generation Kindle Fire HD. Fire HDX also doubles the RAM to 2 GB, resulting in faster app launch times, faster website load times, smoother multi-tasking and better overall performance.
New Graphics Engine Perfect for Gaming
The new Adreno 330 graphics engine on Kindle Fire HDX delivers 4x the graphics performance of the previous generation Kindle Fire HD. This combination of a new graphics engine, HDX display, quad-core processor and 2x the memory creates a more immersive, high-frame rate HD gaming experience.
Lightest Large-Screen Tablet—374 grams
Amazon integrated the capacitive touch layer directly into the glass display on Fire HDX, leaving a lighter single layer instead of the typical 2-layer display stack. The Kindle Fire HDX 8.9” frame is a single-piece of machined magnesium with a blend of glass and nylon molded onto the unibody to create openings for the antennas and maximize signal strength without sacrificing sturdiness. The result is the lightest large-screen tablet—at just 374 grams, it is 34%lighter than the previous generation large-screen Fire HD tablet.
11 Hours of Battery, Up to 17 Hours for Reading
Even with all this additional power, Fire HDX still delivers 11 hours of mixed use battery life. When you are reading, Fire HDX automatically powers down the CPU and any unnecessary system components and stores the displayed text in dedicated, low-power memory—the result is up to 17 hours of battery life for reading.
8MP Rear-Facing Camera for Kindle Fire HDX 8.9”
Both the 7” and 8.9” Kindle Fire HDX feature a front-facing HD camera to help you stay in touch with friends and family with Skype. Fire HDX 8.9” features an 8 megapixel rear-facing camera that allows for high-resolution photos and 1080p HD video, plus an LED flash, Electronic Image Stabilization and a wide-aperture 5P f2.2 lens that lets in more light, reducing exposure times and producing sharper images. See a video: www.amazon.com.au/fire-camera.
New Origami Covers
New origami-style cover design provides a simple stand for both portrait and landscape positions, and attaches magnetically so it’s easy to take on and off. The cover for the 8.9” Fire HDX features a custom slide feature that quickly exposes the rear-facing camera and automatically launches the camera application so you won’t miss a great photo opportunity. See a video: www.amazon.com.au/origami.
New Features and Services
Fire OS 3.0 “Mojito”
Kindle Fire HDX is powered by the newest version of Fire OS – Fire OS 3.0 “Mojito”, which introduces hundreds of new and upgraded features, Amazon-exclusive services, platform updates and more. Fire OS starts with Android and adds cloud services, a content-first user interface, built-in media libraries, productivity apps and low-level platform enhancements to integrate Amazon’s digital content and improve performance for Kindle Fire tablets. If an app runs on Android, it can run on Fire OS. Fire OS includes new features like Quiet Time, which lets you mute all incoming notifications or calendar reminders, and can be tied to a particular activity such as reading. Fire OS also adds a grid view in addition to Carousel view, plus Quick Switch which makes it easy to go between multiple apps and unlike standard Android, works with individual content items like different books without navigating home. Read more: www.amazon.com.au/fireos.
You can now wirelessly mirror apps, games and photos from your tablets to your big-screen TV with Miracast-enabled accessories or TVs.
Stay Connected with Expanded Email, Docs and Printing
With the new email on Fire HDX, it is easier than ever to set up your accounts, group conversations by subject, sync your email and more. Reading and managing documents on Fire HDX is simple: email them, sync them from a computer with Cloud Drive, clip them from the web with Send to Kindle, or transfer them via USB. Coming later this month as part of the free, over-the-air Fire OS 3.1 update—print documents, photos, emails and calendar events directly from Kindle Fire to compatible wireless printers.
Complete Enterprise Support
Fire HDX is ready for work, with support for Kerberos authentication so corporate users can browse secure intranet websites; the ability to connect to secure enterprise Wi-Fi networks as well as corporate networks via a native or a 3rd party VPN client; and Mobile Device Management solutions from 3rd party vendors like AirWatch, Citrix, Fiberlink, Good Technology. Some of these features will be delivered as part of the Fire OS 3.1 update.
Organize your books and apps in customized collections for easy reference and Amazon’s Whispersync technology synchronizes the collections across your Kindle devices and reading apps so they’re available on all of your devices. Cloud Collections will be available as part of the Fire OS 3.1 update.
Goodreads on Kindle Fire
Join over 20 million other readers and see what your friends are reading, share highlights and rate the books you read with Goodreads on Kindle, available exclusively from Amazon. Goodreads on Kindle Fire will be available as part of the Fire OS 3.1 update. See screenshots: www.amazon.com.au/goodreads.
All the Content
The Kindle Fire family offers a wide selection of digital content—millions of apps, games and books—including:
- The most popular apps and games including:
- Games: A variety of customers’ favourite games including Asphalt 8, Angry Birds Star Wars II, FIFA 14, Plants vs. Zombies, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Temple Run 2.
- Entertainment and Social Apps: Get the must-have apps including Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest, as well as enjoy music, movies and more with TuneIn Radio, Spotify and Quickflix.
- Personal Organization Apps: Stay organized with popular apps such as Evernote and Jamie’s 20 Minute Meals.
- Apps are tested for the Amazon Appstore and Kindle Fire.
- Millions of books, including 400,000 titles that are exclusive to the Kindle Store; the latest best sellers such as At the Close of Play by Ricky Ponting, Eyrie by Tim Winton, Bittersweet by Colleen McCullough and Doctor Sleep by Stephen King; best-selling illustrated children’s books including the Mr Men series and Hard Luck: Diary of a Wimpy Kid; cookbooks including Asian after Work by Adam Liaw and Hungry Campers Cookbook by Katy Holder; comics and graphic novels like Batman: Earth One and The Walking Dead and exclusives from authors such as Germaine Greer, Karly Lane and James Duigan. In addition, Australian customers will find a broad selection of content from local authors including Rachael Johns, Sally Morgan and Kim Scott; Australian classics from Text Publishing; and titles from Indigenous publishing house Magabala books.
- Over 700,000 titles are AU$3.99 or less, over 1.4 million are AU$9.99 or less.
Pricing & Availability
The 7” Kindle Fire HDX is at a suggested retail price of AU$329 and will be available November 26 at Big W and Dick Smith.
The 8.9” Kindle Fire HDX is at a suggested retail price AU$479 and will be available December 10 at Big W and Dick Smith.