Nov 12, 2012– Tokyo, Japan (Techreleased) – Honda Motor Co., Ltd. has developed a new SPORTS HYBRID Intelligent Dual Clutch Drive system, a lightweight and compact one-motor hybrid system optimized for small-sized vehicles. This new hybrid system will be the latest addition to the Earth Dreams Technology series of next generation powertrain technology that realizes both excellent driving performance and high fuel efficiency.
Together with the SPORT HYBRID Intelligent Multi Mode Drive, the world’s most efficient1 two-motor hybrid system optimized for mid-sized vehicles, and the SPORT HYBRID SH-AWD® (Super Handling – All Wheel Drive), the three-motor hybrid system optimized for large-sized vehicles enabling independent control of torque distribution to both right and left rear wheels, the newly developed SPORT HYBRID Intelligent Dual Clutch Drive will constitute the lineup of three different Honda SPORT HYBRID systems that accommodate different vehicle characteristics. Honda will continue expanding the application of these hybrid systems based on vehicle characteristics.
SPORT HYBRID Systems Lineup
One-motor SPORT HYBRID Intelligent Dual Clutch Drive
In addition to top-level fuel efficiency in its class2, the fun of driving is realized with acceleration g-force more powerful than that of existing models as well as a rhythmic and linear acceleration feeling. This drive unit combines a newly developed inline 4-cylinder 1.5-liter Atkinson cycle engine with a 7-speed Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) system with a built-in high-output motor and a Lithium-Ion battery to improve efficiency by more than 30 percent compared to a conventional one-motor hybrid system.
- The combination of the one-motor hybrid system and the engine realizes sporty driving during acceleration and high-speed cruising by using the clutches to engage the engine
- Highly efficient electric vehicle (EV) driving is realized during startup and low- to medium-speed cruising by using the clutches to disengage the engine
- This system contributes to the improvement of fuel efficiency by increasing energy regeneration using the clutches to disengage the engine during deceleration
Two-motor SPORT HYBRID Intelligent Multi Mode Drive / Plug-in:
Through the adoption of high-efficiency/high-output motors, both brisk acceler
- “EV Drive” for driving by the electric motor only, using electricity from the battery and regeneration during deceleration
- “Engine Drive” for medium-to high-speed cruising with the engine and axle directly connected by a lock-up clutch, with engine power mechanically transferred to the wheels
- “Hybrid Drive” for urban driving and powerful acceleration using the motor with electricity generated by the engine
Three-motor SPORT HYBRID SH-AWD ® (Super Handling – All Wheel Drive):
The combination of a V-6 engine and this high-output three-motor system realizes acceleration performance equivalent to that of a V-8 engine with fuel efficiency better than that of an inline 4-cylinder engine. A new direct-injected 3.5-liter V-6 engine is installed in the front of the vehicle and combined with a newly-developed 7-speed DCT system with a built-in motor. This unique Honda technology uses two electric motors installed in the rear to control torque distribution to the right and left rear wheels.
- Using independent motors for the right and left rear wheels, positive torque is applied to the outside wheel and negative torque is applied to the inside wheel, making independent control of torque distribution to the rear wheels possible without relying on engine output
- Depending on the radius of the curve, the energy generated by the inside wheel is recovered electrically and applied to the outside wheel to self-generate torque necessary for the vehicle to make the turn
1 Per Honda internal research as of August 2012
2 Hybrid systems for a 1.5L engines