Goodreads and Kindle FreeTime Now Available on the New Kindle Paperwhite – Nov 20, 2013– Seattle, USA (Techreleased) – Amazon today announced a software update for the new Kindle Paperwhite that brings exclusive features including Goodreads integration and Kindle FreeTime. This free, over-the-air software update will be delivered automatically in the coming weeks, or you can visit www.amazon.com/kindlesoftwareupdates to download the software update starting today.
“The new Kindle Paperwhite is already the best e-reader in the world, and we’re excited to make it even better with new features we think readers will love,” said Peter Larsen, Vice President, Amazon Kindle. “First, we’re combining the world’s largest e-reading community and the world’s largest community of book lovers with new Goodreads integration. Second, given the great customer response to our tablet version of Kindle FreeTime, we’re excited to extend this feature to Kindle Paperwhite, helping parents encourage their kids to read more.”
Goodreads on Kindle Paperwhite brings together the world’s largest e-reading community and the world’s largest community of book lovers. Join more than 20 million other readers on Goodreads to discover great books and have discussions about what you’re reading. Features of the new Goodreads integration, available exclusively from Amazon, include:
- Share favorite passages with your Goodreads friends without leaving the book.
- See what your friends are reading, read their reviews and discover new books to read.
- When you finish a book, immediately rate it without putting down your Kindle.
- Keep track of all your reading activity—update your “Currently Reading”, “Read”, and “Want to Read” shelves directly from your Kindle. Easily add your Amazon book purchases, print and digital, to your Goodreads account.
Built-in parental controls have been extended to give parents a simple way to encourage kids to spend more time reading. Parents can set daily reading goals for their kids, hand-select books for their kids to read, and track progress against goals. Children earn achievement badges for hitting reading milestones—for example, reaching and exceeding their daily reading goal, and passing big milestones like “Read 1000 pages”. A progress report keeps parents updated on total time spent reading, number of words looked up, badges earned and books finished. See screenshots:
Organize your books, newspapers, and magazines in customized collections for easy reference, and Amazon’s Whispersync technology synchronizes the collections across your Kindle devices and reading apps so they’re available on all of your devices.
Kindle Paperwhite is the best e-reader in the world. Here’s what reviewers have to say:
- “Amazon Kindle Paperwhite is the best e-reader ever” – CNN
- “Not only is it a great ebook reader, it’s the only one even worth considering—great hardware and Amazon’s spectacular ecosystem are an untouchable combination.” – The Verge
- “The newest iteration of Kindle—the Kindle Paperwhite—is, simply put, fantastic.” – Men’s Fitness
- “The display is amazing.” – Gizmodo
- “The Kindle Paperwhite sets the bar high for the competition.” – PC Magazine
- “Kindle Paperwhite Will Make Readers Rejoice” – Bloomberg
- “Amazon has improved on last year’s excellent Paperwhite e-reader with a faster processor, more responsive touch screen, and a better integrated light that’s brighter and whiter and displays more evenly across the screen.” – CNET