First Nissan NV200 Taxicab Hits the Streets of Manhattan – Oct 29, 2013– New York, USA (Techreleased) – A new era in public transportation has begun with the Nissan NV200T taxicab now in service on the streets of New York City. The meter on the first NV200T fare officially kicked-off at JFK International Airport on October 23, dropping its inaugural passenger near 13th Street and 6th Avenue in Manhattan. Mr. Ranjit Singh, an owner/operator of Medallion No. 7F20, took delivery of his NV200T from Koeppel Nissan in Queens on October 18.
Eight Nissan dealerships in the New York City region now have the NV200T available for purchase by New York City medallion owners. These major milestones mark the next phase in Nissan’s commitment to deliver the most innovative, custom-designed taxi experience ever to the more than 600,000 people who ride in New York City taxicabs every day.
“The Nissan NV200T demonstrates the company’s leadership in advancing global mobility through modern vehicle design and technology,” said Andy Palmer, executive vice president for Nissan Motor Company. “From its fuel-efficient powertrain, to its space-saving design and passenger-centric interior, the Nissan taxi is a prime example of innovative spirit that goes into all Nissan vehicles. We are excited to see the NV200T now carrying passengers around Manhattan, and look forward to bringing the same NV200T experience to drivers and passengers in new markets outside New York.”
Designed From the Inside Out
Drawing on insight from New York taxi drivers, medallion holders, fleets and passengers, the Nissan NV200T features more content tailored specifically to the unique needs of metropolitan cab service than ever before. One of the NV200T’s most dazzling design elements is the transparent roof that gives riders stunning views of city sights and skyscrapers. Other new features include:
- Ample room for four passengers and their luggage, offering substantial improvements over current and recently-unveiled taxi models;
- Sliding doors with entry step and grab handles, providing easy entry and exit;
- Opening side windows;
- Independently controlled rear air conditioning;
- Active Carbon-lined headliner to help neutralize interior odors;
- Overhead reading lights for passengers and floor lighting to help locate belongings;
- Mobile charging ports for passengers, including a 12-volt electrical outlet and two USB ports;
- Breathable, antimicrobial, environment-friendly, durable and easy-to-clean seat fabric, simulating the look and feel of leather; and
- Flat “no hump” passenger floor area for more comfortable ride.
Other notable NV200T features focus on driver comfort, customer satisfaction and the environment:
- Proven 2.0L 4-cylinder powertrain, engineered to enhance the emission performance and fuel efficiency of the taxi fleet;
- 150,000 mile powertrain warranty;
- A low-annoyance horn with exterior lights that indicate when the vehicle is honking, so the horn is used less frequently;
- A 6-way adjustable driver’s seat featuring both recline and lumbar adjustments, even with a partition installed;
- Unique driver’s seat material and stitching to promote improved airflow;
- USB auxiliary audio input and charge port for driver;
- Standard navigation system with integrated rearview backup monitor;
- Hearing Loop System for the hearing impaired;
- Driver and passenger intercom system; and
- All necessary wiring and installation provisions.
Safety was a big consideration when redesigning the all-new taxi. The NV200T features specially-designed dual sliding doors with entry steps and grab handles to provide easy entry and exit. Sliding doors and door-opening warning lamps also lessen the risk of pedestrians, cyclists and other motorists getting struck when doors open unexpectedly. In addition, the new cab is the first New York taxi to be crash-tested with taxi equipment installed, including the partition. The NV200T also features front and rear-seat occupant curtain airbags, and seat-mounted airbags for the front row along with standard traction control and Vehicle Dynamic Control.
Nissan has also partnered with Braun Corp., the world leader in automotive mobility products, to develop, engineer and produce a creative wheelchair-accessible option for the NV200T. Drawing on Braun’s innovation and experience in the mobility industry, the mobility package will be available to all New York taxi medallion holders beginning in April 2014.
Manufactured at the company’s assembly plant in Cuernavaca, Mexico and rigorously tested at its Arizona proving grounds, the Nissan NV200T has logged more than 155,000 miles – enough to cover every street in Manhattan more than 300 times – in durability and other testing in preparation for its New York City debut. Total manufacturer suggested retail price (MSRP) of the vehicle is approximately $29,700.
Changing the Taxi Experience Worldwide
Drawing on its full range of commercial vehicle experience – including providing taxis for municipalities around the world – Nissan has been called on by some of the world’s largest cities, including London, Paris, Tokyo and Bangkok, to explore how the company can support delivery of custom taxi solutions – whether gasoline, hybrid, electric, handicap accessible or any other desired configuration.
Most notably, London’s cityscape will have a new ‘black cab’ to call its own with the addition of a Nissan taxi to its fleet in 2014. Modified to meet Transport for London’s legal requirements, the London taxicab’s custom-tailored design maximizes passenger space and comfort with occupant-friendly features. The five-seater layout complies with specific headroom height requirements that were originally introduced to enable passengers to wear a top hat in the back while delivering significantly reduced CO2 outputs compared to current taxi models. Nissan has worked closely with the Mayor’s office during the design and development stage of the new London Taxi, and will continue to do so as the project reaches production.