All-new 2016 Nissan Maxima –Apr 06, 2015– Tokyo, Japan (Techreleased) – The all-new 2016 Nissan Maxima, which goes on sale in summer 2015, sets a new standard for style, performance and technology in the mid-size sedan segment. Its groundbreaking presence is also intended to “Maximize” the Nissan brand itself – as a halo vehicle showcasing the company’s cutting edge design, performance and innovation leadership.
Now in its eighth generation, the new 2016 Maxima takes the nameplate’s position as the “4-Door Sports Car” to its highest execution ever. From a performance standpoint, Maxima achieves a power-to-weight ratio that exceeds that of the Acura TLX V6 and BMW 335i*, and authentic performance hardware that includes monotube rear dampers, tires specially developed for Maxima, and a “Sport” mode that transforms the vehicle’s character with the touch of a button.
The new Maxima’s 3.5-liter VQ-series V6 has been redesigned with more than 60 percent new parts (compared to the previous generation 3.5-liter V6). The engine applies lessons learned from the legendary GT-R, such as sodium-filled valves, to meet needs of the higher compression ratio and combustion temperatures. With 300 horsepower, it achieves a high specific output (HP/L) of 85.7 horsepower/liter. The revised engine also offers an anticipated 15 percent increase in highway fuel economy to an EPA estimated 30 miles per gallon**.
Complementing the revised powerplant is a new, performance-oriented Xtronic transmission featuring a wider ratio range, which allows for stronger acceleration from a standing start and an all-new D-Step shifting logic that provides rapid shifts at high throttle openings.
The new Maxima’s enhanced handling and ride comfort starts with a redesigned platform that features increased use of high strength steel, including the first use of 1.2GPa high strength steel in a Nissan sedan, and a revised 4-wheel independent suspension with monotube rear shock absorbers. The new Maxima SR grade features unique suspension damper tuning, a Performance Chassis Damper, a larger front stabilizer bar and 19-inch wheels and tires to add even more performance.
The new Maxima, a virtual clone of the stunning, futuristic Nissan Sport Sedan Concept, brings a new architecture to the segment with an exterior design that is lower, longer and leaner than the previous generation. The new Maxima embodies the latest Nissan design language and projects a distinctive upscale look through its unique combination of a lower profile and a wide stance, bold front end, Nissan signature V-Motion grille and floating roof appearance.
Maxima’s new lighting features define its presence on the road with boomerang-style headlights and taillights, LED daytime running lights and two-piece taillights. Large dual exhaust tailpipe finishers and 18-inch machined-finished aluminum-alloy wheels (19-inch wheels on the new Maxima SR grade) complement the look.
The new Maxima is available in nine exterior colors, including two Maxima-exclusive exterior colors – Forged Bronze and Coulis Red.
The totally redesigned interior is anchored by a command central driver’s cockpit that features optimal reach to all controls and a center stack angled toward the driver. The Display Commander control, located on the console, allows fingertip control of the center display.
The new Maxima’s bespoke-style interior offers genuine stitching on the instrument panel, doors and console, available ambient lighting, available Ascot premium leather seating surfaces with diamond-quilted inserts (also available in Alcantara®), unique faceted finishers and a sporty D-shape (flat-bottom) steering wheel.
Maxima’s luxury-level interior quietness is enabled by an Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) system that works much like noise cancelling headphones, helping reduce unpleasant low-frequency sounds. A new Active Sound Enhancement (ASE) system, which works by enhancing existing engine sound from the 3.5-liter V6 into the cabin (Bose® audio equipped models only).
Maxima’s next-generation technology features include a standard NissanConnectSM with navigation, featuring an 8.0-inch touch-screen display, along with SiriusXM® Satellite Radio and SiriusXM Travel Link™ applications (Sirius XM subscription required, sold separately), Online Search with Google® and other connectivity features. The NissanConnect system is paired with a standard 7.0-inch Advanced Drive Assist Display (ADAD) within the instrument cluster.
The new Maxima also offers an extensive range of safety, security and driving aids, including Predictive Forward Collision Warning (PFCW), Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC), Forward Emergency Braking (FEB), Rear Cross Traffic Alert (CTA) and Blind Spot Warning (BSW). These features are standard on Maxima SL, SR and Platinum grades. Maxima also offers an available Driver Attention Alert (DAA) system, which learns each individual driver’s steering patterns*** and helps alert the driver when drowsy or inattentive driving is detected (Maxima Platinum only).
Maxima Platinum models include standard NissanConnect Services powered by SiriusXM – the first time offered by Nissan in the United States. The system’s wide range of features includes automatic collision notification, remote start via smartphone, emergency call, stolen vehicle locator and more (six-month free trial; subscription required, sold separately).
The 2016 Maxima is available in five well-equipped models (all equipment is grade standard, no available options): Maxima S, SV, SL, SR and Platinum.
Highlights of the all-new 2016 Nissan Maxima include:
- Based on Nissan Sport Sedan Concept
- Offers the authentic presence of a sports car in a 4-door sedan
- Features authentic sports car cues through low and wide proportions, powerful body sculpting, flared fenders and available machined-finished 19-inch wheels
- Floating roof appearance echoes the canopy of a fighter jet
- Lower (- 1.3 inches) and longer (+ 2.2 inches) than previous generation Maxima design
- Powerful V-Motion front grille
- Automatic on/off halogen headlights, available LED projector headlights
- LED Signature Daytime Running Lights
- Standard fog lights, LED rear parking lights
- Available outside mirrors with integrated turn signals
- Available auto-dimming driver’s side outside mirror, outside mirrors with tilt-down feature
- Available Dual Panel Panoramic Moonroof with rear power retractable sunshades
- Dual chrome exhaust finishers
- Available premium and sport rear spoilers
- Laminated glass on the windshield and front door windows
- Nine available exterior colors: Bordeaux Black, Forged Bronze, Storm Blue, Super Black, Brilliant Silver, Gun Metallic, Coulis Red, Deep Blue Pearl and Pearl White
Engine and Driveline
- Front engine/front-wheel drive
- Revised 3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 with more than 60 percent new parts
- Rated at 300 horsepower @ 6,400 rpm and 261 lb-ft torque @ 4,400 rpm
- High specific output of 85.7 hp/liter
- An estimated 15 percent increase in highway fuel economy – 30 miles per gallon
- New performance-oriented Xtronic transmission with wider ratio range, D-step shift logic, Adaptive Shift Control (which includes G-sensor) and unique Sport mode tuning
- Available paddle shifters (SR grade only)
- Drive Mode Selector (Sport and Normal modes) adjusts engine throttle response, steering feel and transmission tuning
- Maxima SL, SR and Platinum grade Drive Mode Selector also includes Active Sound Enhancement (ASE) tuning
- SR grade includes Intelligent Dynamics-control Module (IDM) tuning
Suspension, Steering and Braking
- Redesigned platform featuring extensive use of high strength steel, including the first use of 1.2GPa high strength steel in a Nissan sedan, for 82-pound weight reduction and 25 percent increase in torsional rigidity (over the previous generation)
- Independent subframe-mounted strut/coil spring front suspension
- Independent multi-link double wishbone rear suspension
- ZF Sachs monotube rear shock absorbers
- Front (26.0 mm) and rear (26.5 mm) stabilizer bars
- 4-wheel power-assisted vented disc brakes, standard 4-wheel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist
- 18-inch machined finish aluminum-alloy wheels with painted inserts, 245/45R18 all-season tires
- Available 19-inch diamond-cut high contrast machined aluminum-alloy wheels with specially-developed Goodyear 245/40R19 all-season tires (SR model)
- Driver-oriented cockpit inspired by fighter jets
- Console tilted seven degrees towards the driver (as in the Nissan GT-R)
- Standard NissanConnect with standard navigation and 8.0-inch capacitive color display with smartphone-like controls (swipe and pinch-to-zoom) and swipe-to-meter functionality; SiriusXM Travel Link™ (fuel prices, weather, movie listings, stock info, sports) (SiriusXM subscription required, sold separately); Hands-Free Text Messaging Assistant
- Available NissanConnect Services powered by SiriusXM, featuring automatic collision notification, remote start via smartphone, emergency call, stolen vehicle locator (six-month free trial; subscription required, sold separately)
- Standard Streaming audio via Bluetooth®
- Two front USB connection ports for iPod® interface and other compatible devices
- Nissan Voice Recognition for navigation and audio
- Standard 7.0-inch Advanced Drive Assist Display (in-meter display)
- Standard Display Commander for interface control of center display functions
- NASA-inspired Zero Gravity front seats
- 8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat, 4-way power-adjustable front passenger’s seat
- Available premium Ascot Leather-appointed seats with diamond-quilted inserts (Alcantara® diamond-quilted inserts on SR model)
- Available heated front seats
- Available Climate-controlled (heated and cooled) front seats
- Standard rear 60/40 split fold-down rear seat
- Flat-bottom D-shaped leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Available heated steering wheel
- Genuine stitching on instrument panel, upper door panels and console
- Power door locks, power windows with driver and passenger auto-up/down feature; available rear window auto-up/down feature
- Available ambient LED lighting (under instrument panel and door finishers)
- Available advanced Bose® premium audio system with 11 speakers and Active Noise Cancellation (ANC)
- Standard HD Radio®
- Standard SiriusXM Satellite Radio (SiriusXM subscription required, sold separately)
- Standard Bluetooth® Hands-free Phone System
- Available class-exclusive Around View® Monitor (AVM) with Moving Object Detection (MOD)
- Standard RearView Monitor
- Standard Nissan Intelligent Key with Push Button Ignition (with “pulse” illumination logic)
- Standard HomeLink® Universal Transceiver
- Standard Remote Engine Start with Intelligent Climate Control
- Three available interior colors: Charcoal, Cashmere (except SR) and Camel (SR only)
Maxima SR Exclusive Features
- Sport-tuned suspension with monotube rear dampers with unique damper tuning and a larger stabilizer bar in the front
- Solid roof panel (no available moonroof) – helps lower the center of gravity and further enhance torsional rigidity
- A Performance Chassis Damper (similar to 370Z NISMO) – installed on the front section of the chassis to help quell high frequency vibration in the body that can result from the stiffer suspension
- Alcantara® seating inserts and steering wheel insert for high-grip at key touch points
- Integrated Dynamic-control Module (IDM) system with Active Ride Control (ARC), Active Trace Control (ATC) and Active Engine Brake (AEB)
- Liquid Chrome finishers
- Paddle shifters
- Aluminum sport pedals
- 19-inch diamond-cut high contrast machined aluminum-alloy wheels with specially-developed Goodyear 245/40R19 all-season tires
Safety and Security
- Nissan Advanced Air Bag System (AABS) with supplemental front air bags with seat belt sensors and an occupant classification sensor
- Front seat-mounted side-impact supplemental air bags and roof-mounted curtain side-impact supplemental air bags with rollover sensor
- 3-point ALR/ELR seat belts (driver’s seat ELR only) including rear center position
- Front seat belts with adjustable upper anchors, pretensioners, and load limiters
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) system
- Zone Body construction with front and rear crumple zones
- Standard Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) with Traction Control System (TCS)
- Emergency inside trunk-release
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) with Easy-Fill Tire Alert
- Available Predictive Forward Collision Warning (PFCW)
- Available Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC)
- Available segment-first Driver Attention Alert (DAA) system (helps alert driver when drowsy or distracted driving is detected)
- Available Forward Emergency Braking (FEB)
- Available Blind Sport Warning (BSW) with Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Models and Manufacturing
- Offered in five well-equipped models: Maxima S, SV, SL, SR and Platinum
- Assembled by Nissan North America Manufacturing Smyrna & Decherd Tennessee Plants